Board logo

Dashboard covering
speedyxjs - 15/6/09 at 06:46 PM

What have you guys (and girls) used for covering the dashboard?

RoadkillUK - 15/6/09 at 06:50 PM

Pre-SVA we had vinyl on foam.

Post-SVA it's a CF lookalike GRP.

chris_smith - 15/6/09 at 06:51 PM

i used black leatherette onto laminate floor underlay foam then plyboard

cheers
chris

speedyxjs - 15/6/09 at 06:56 PM

Am i right in thinking if i have a padded dashboard, i dont need the bottom of the dash radiused?

matt.c - 15/6/09 at 06:57 PM

Do yourself a favor and just get some fake carbon sheet. You will end up getting some in the long run!

Stuart_B - 15/6/09 at 06:57 PM

i used, plywood and camping mat foam and black vinly.

stuart

speedyxjs - 15/6/09 at 07:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matt.c
Do yourself a favor and just get some fake carbon sheet. You will end up getting some in the long run!

Im not a big fan of cf. Think it looks a bit weird.

chris_smith - 15/6/09 at 07:04 PM

you still need the bottom radiused at 19mm whether its padded or not, i used 38mm drain pipe

speedyxjs - 15/6/09 at 07:14 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris_smith
you still need the bottom radiused at 19mm whether its padded or not, i used 38mm drain pipe

How did you fix it on?

chris_smith - 15/6/09 at 07:37 PM

cut it down its lengthpushed onto the ply then screw every couple of inch then foam over pulled tight with vinyl/leatherette, then stapled to the ply

speedyxjs - 15/6/09 at 07:50 PM

Great cheers

BenB - 15/6/09 at 08:17 PM

Yup. Plywood with thin foam and vinyl on top for me..... (and a bolt on bit on the bottom of the dash which passed the radius rule but fell off shortly after)...

stevegough - 15/6/09 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
Yup. Plywood with thin foam and vinyl on top for me..... (and a bolt on bit on the bottom of the dash which passed the radius rule but fell off shortly after)...

I am completely stunned by the amazing engineering I keep seeing evidence of by many of the members on this site, which brings me to the point in question.......

If you guys are so amazingly great at fixing things, why, oh why do I keep seeing comments like the above where items fixed fall off ? - and is it a coincidence these items all seem to fall off just after the SVA test has been completed? It really is a complete enigma to me !!

tomprescott - 15/6/09 at 08:36 PM

quote:
Originally posted by matt.c

I don't mind real carbon fibre - but carbon fibre effect stuff is too chavtacular for me!

adithorp - 15/6/09 at 08:38 PM

19mm radius is for rigid dash. Padded is 10mm I think but it depends on the padding. Might have changed for IVA. Check the manual.

imp paul - 15/6/09 at 09:01 PM

you could flock your dash it looks very cool like in wrc cars eg mitsys worth a look http://www.getflocked.webeden.co.uk/#/gallery/4527762201 />
[Edited on 15/6/09 by imp paul]

RoadkillUK - 15/6/09 at 09:43 PM

We also used plywood or was it MDF? Either way, we glued another thin piece of ply on the back at the bottom and used a router to radius it, then camping mat then vinyl.

MkII - 15/6/09 at 09:49 PM

I had my striker dash flocked

Cheffy - 16/6/09 at 08:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
19mm radius is for rigid dash. Padded is 10mm I think but it depends on the padding. Might have changed for IVA. Check the manual.

Morning Chaps,

This is from the IVA manual:-

quote:

The instrument panel lower edge within the “specified zone” must have a radius of curvature not less than 19mm or 5mm and covered with a non-rigid material. Except where an adaptation for a disabled person makes it impossible to comply. (see note 7)

Hope that helps.

Mart.

piran - 1/7/09 at 08:08 AM

we used camping mat and vinyl on 9mm ply, we stuck a stuck a strip of the camping mat across the bottom and that was fine for SVA.