Board logo

abs
55ant - 5/2/10 at 01:53 PM

what thickness abs, or other plastic, would you guys recomend for the dash on a locost, im after a gloss black finish, ill be re-doing the trans tunnel and rear 'shelf', im considering vac forming the dash but not sure at the moment.

also a good supplier would be great.

andrew-theasby - 5/2/10 at 02:03 PM

Playskool motorsport supply it in 2 thicknesses any size you want. Im using 2.5mm for internal panels and 4mm for boot lid. Id think 4mm would be better for a dash, but i think they sell dash blanks anyway. HTH.

James - 5/2/10 at 03:15 PM

IS gloss black going to be a problem in sunlight?

My TV has a gloss black surround and it's crap when the light's on it and you can't see the screen!

whitestu - 5/2/10 at 06:41 PM

I've got 2.5mm for my dash and on it's own it is too thin. I put some 5mm mdf behind it to give it a bit of strength.

55ant - 5/2/10 at 06:53 PM

hadnt thought about the gloss black / sunlight issue, i think the current stuff is 4mm,

Blue Devil - 5/2/10 at 08:00 PM

If you can i would try to find someone that deals Acrylic if possible. Its a bit heavier, but its far more scratch resistant then ABS. If not i would use a Poly carbonite sheet in a 5mm thickness. I work with plastics in the auto industry and from my experience i think you would be much happier with a the gloss and finish of a PC sheet.

If you stick with the ABS then go 5mm.