Board logo

3mm radius on Aluminium Sheet
Irony - 29/10/14 at 12:41 PM

I have spent a couple of days trimming and making the parts for my centre console on my cars interior. I have made and sewn both the Handbrake gaiter and the gear lever gaiter myself as well as the metal trim to go round them. Looks pretty good so far.

I have made some metal trim (to go around the gaiters) from 3mm Ali sheet and polished them up but I don't think they will pass the IVA. Does anyone have any ideas how I can put a radius on the parts? I was going to just get the angle grinder out and bevel the edges with a sanding disc but there might be a better way?

[Edited on 29/10/14 by Irony]

bi22le - 29/10/14 at 12:53 PM

Can you get a metal cutting router blade and router the edge?

Not sure if they even exist.

If not, when I made my trumpets I hand ground them with a dremmel and then filed and polished.

A good hand file would put a 3mm rad on ali with little effort.

Andy S - 29/10/14 at 12:54 PM

Only needs to be blunted if it does not project from the surface so just take the edge off with a block and 240 grit

britishtrident - 29/10/14 at 12:58 PM

You need to use a file, use the draw filing method and dust the file with talc.

Irony - 29/10/14 at 01:02 PM

I am not sure metal routing bits exist. I have never seen one. The parts stick out 3.5mm from the surface so they will need a good radius on them.

dave_424 - 29/10/14 at 01:14 PM

Any of the carbide router bits will cut aluminium without any issue

Smoking Frog - 29/10/14 at 02:16 PM

As suggested a tungsten carbide router cutter will work (I did the tunnel trim using one) using several passes. However on such a small work piece I'd use a file.

killerferret666 - 29/10/14 at 02:52 PM

depends how it attaches etc...

but I just got some rubber door trim and put it round my gaitor fitting as I had the same issue. after the IVA it fell off

big_wasa - 29/10/14 at 02:57 PM

I just glued some u trim around it as well. Keep the glue to a minimum

Irony - 29/10/14 at 03:43 PM

quote:
Originally posted by killerferret666
depends how it attaches etc...

but I just got some rubber door trim and put it round my gaitor fitting as I had the same issue. after the IVA it fell off

I actually prefer the sharper edged look of it now and I have some suitable U-trim. This could work methinks. Cheers

rusty nuts - 29/10/14 at 07:59 PM

I used a belt sanding table to radius the edge of my handbrake surround , the gear lever surround was done in a lathe

omega 24 v6 - 30/10/14 at 12:20 AM

Get a big grommet. Turn it ouside in and fit it to the part. After IVA throw it away and put the shiny bit back on how you like.

The Black Flash - 5/11/14 at 09:39 PM

File, then emery paper from 240 to 1200. You'll have it done in an hour, it's how I did mine. Ally's pretty easy to shape by hand.