Board logo

Hitting reverse when I want first in my 4speed ford box
Leyburn lad - 5/7/18 at 06:49 PM

Just bought my first kit car, locust 7 with a 16xflow in it and 4speed box. When I go for first it can engage reverse,there is no restriction to stop it hitting it.

Is there any gate system or plate to put on around the gear stick to help engage right gear.

We’re wanting to go for sprints and hill climbing in the future so will be after plenty of info.

Thanks

Jason

myke pocock - 5/7/18 at 09:42 PM

If memory serves me correct, reverse requires the stick to be depressed. If the gearbox has been played with the reverse stop may have been removed. Look at the tail of the box, remove the blanking plate above the prop shaft entry into the gearbox and look if there is a metal wedge type thing in a groove to the, I believe, near side of the box. if missing thats the issue I would think.

jollygreengiant - 6/7/18 at 05:59 AM

quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
If memory serves me correct, reverse requires the stick to be depressed. If the gearbox has been played with the reverse stop may have been removed. Look at the tail of the box, remove the blanking plate above the prop shaft entry into the gearbox and look if there is a metal wedge type thing in a groove to the, I believe, near side of the box. if missing thats the issue I would think.

OR the spring in the ball section of the gear stick has been removed/broken, or, the circlip above the spring has been removed IF it is a standard gear stick. A word to the wise, IF it is a standard Gear stick and you remove it {lift the lock tab(s) to undo}, then when you come to refit it, ALWAYS remove the circlip from above the reverse detent spring on the stick. The single rail ford gearbox's had a plastic nut to hold them in and IF NOT refitted correctly then stripped threads on the plastic nut usually resulted leaving you holding a gear stick in your hand after energetic gear changes (as happened to one taxi driver one XMAS eve night shift and no it WASN'T me).

Hope this helps.

phil m - 6/7/18 at 07:04 AM

This is the reverse peg from the box. This is removed if an extension system is used.
I made an aluminium gate fitted across the top of the transmission tunnel to stop accidental engagement of reverse.
however, I’ve just taken it off as I’ve changed the tunnel cover. I’m still not sure whether it will be okay without this gate so pondering it myself prior to mot and recommissioning the car

Phil