Board logo

MX5 Seat Question
John Bonnett - 21/9/21 at 04:29 PM

Seat foams seem to be scarce for the MK1 and I wondered if seats from a later model for which foams are available are a similar size and fit the seat slider mounting of a MK1. In other words, are they interchangeable?

Thank you

John

Paul_Arion - 21/9/21 at 06:54 PM

The floor pan is the same from mk1 up to mk2.5 so should be a direct swap. Lotus Elise seats are a common upgrade from mk1 seats also.

The seat belt stalks on the mk2 models bolts to the runners whereas the mk1 has the stalk on the tunnel - other than that it should be straightforward

John Bonnett - 21/9/21 at 06:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Arion
The floor pan is the same from mk1 up to mk2.5 so should be a direct swap. Lotus Elise seats are a common upgrade from mk1 seats also.

The seat belt stalks on the mk2 models bolts to the runners whereas the mk1 has the stalk on the tunnel - other than that it should be straightforward

That's great news Paul, thank you for the information

Kind regards

John

Slimy38 - 23/9/21 at 06:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Paul_Arion

Apologies for hijacking the thread, but do you know if the seat belt stalk mechanisms are the same? I have Mk1 stalks that I'm reusing but they're far too long, I was thinking of getting a pair of MK2 but I can't tell whether the MK1 belts will lock into the MK2 stalks.

Paul_Arion - 23/9/21 at 07:02 AM

Yes the connectors on the belts are the same between mk1 and mk2 (some of the very late mk1's had the stalks on the seat frames like the mk2 / mk2.5) - its only on the mk3 that they differed.