Board logo

sealing and painting MDF
jabbahutt - 10/10/07 at 07:15 AM

Morning all

Has anyone one here ever successfully painted MDF? I was going to cover the centre section of my dash in vinyl but there are a lot of small curves which I think will not easily cover and look good.

My next idea was to seal the MDF then spray in car paint. Has anyone here done this and if so what did you use to seal it and how well did the paint stick?

Many thanks
Nigel

John.Taylor - 10/10/07 at 07:24 AM

I made some speaker pods for my first car, a MK1 Fiesta, out of MDF. I mixed some PVA glue with water and painted it onto the MDF, let it dry/harden then used a can of grey spray paint from halfords to finish off. Paint stayed on al the time I had the car.

Hellfire - 10/10/07 at 07:31 AM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What he said... needs sealing first.

Steve

balidey - 10/10/07 at 07:37 AM

Melamine paint is perfect, covers and seals really well.

http://www.ronseal.co.uk/products/product.jsp?id=7

jabbahutt - 10/10/07 at 07:40 AM

cheers for the help. If sealing with a PVA/water mix is there a ratio to use like 50/50?

once i know this I can get out into the garage this morning and get cacking.

Thanks again for the asssitance
Nigel

StevieB - 10/10/07 at 07:41 AM

I'll second the melamine paint and matching sealent as said.

Use a sponge roller to put it on and it dries really nice and smooth. You can always rub it back between coats to get the best finish possible.

RazMan - 10/10/07 at 07:50 AM

Another votr for Melamine paint - works a treat.

JonBowden - 10/10/07 at 08:02 AM

I've used MDF primer in a few places in the house - seems to work ok

MDF primer at Screwfix

locoboy - 10/10/07 at 08:04 AM

agree to rubbing back as you get pin sized bubbles otherwise.

BTW it aint that scary a job you dont need to go and get 'cacking' in the garage lol

BenB - 10/10/07 at 08:06 AM

I've primed MDF with bog standard wood primer. Worked fine.
You'll need to seal the cut edges very well. MDF swells at the edges when it gets wet. On a car that's difficult to avoid...

I used ply in the end for my dash as MDF ain't the lightest product on the planet.....

James - 10/10/07 at 10:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by locoboy

BTW it aint that scary a job you dont need to go and get 'cacking' in the garage lol

I'm glad I'm not the only child on here who thought that amusing!!!

nige - 10/10/07 at 10:34 AM

i did some kitchen doors
pva , 50/50 sealed first
then mealamine primer rubbed down
then melamine gloss with a sponge
(gloss roller) excellent finish
well the wife said it was , so it must ave been

smart51 - 10/10/07 at 11:08 AM

You could try some sanding sealer from timber yards or good DIY shops. Its used for sealing wood prior to polishing or varnishing.

Avoid anything "wet" as it will cause the MDF to swell.

gr8ging - 10/10/07 at 11:50 AM

I worked in a car body shop in New Zealand and we sprayed some kitchen units that had been made of mdf with normal car primer, flatened it back, another coat of primer, flatten back and then used gloss car paint. came out like a mirror, abeit black, with a bit of polish.