Board logo

Cornering
Lotusmark2 - 7/12/05 at 04:17 PM

How do you overcome the cornering issues with 3 wheelers (2 front 1 rear) as I am toying with an idea (Formula ford conversion)

Surrey Dave - 7/12/05 at 04:56 PM

Great idea , I have a soft spot for 3 wheelers, my 1st car at 16 was an BMW Isetta .

I would guess keeping the C of G low helps a lot , and wide track at the front, I imagine 2 at the front 1 at the rear is the most stable configuration.

donut - 7/12/05 at 05:14 PM

As cheeko says, wide track at front and i would suggest a wide tyre at the rear. Should be fun!

Lotusmark2 - 7/12/05 at 05:24 PM

the whole idea of no diff to suck power and a much lighter setup at the rear really appeals.....
the research continues, if anyone can point me at good info please feel free.

donut - 7/12/05 at 05:28 PM

Those JZR (or whatever) V-twin bike powered trikes are pretty quick, plus theres the other trike that uses superbike engines and the Avon which now uses VW beetle power.

Ben Smith - 7/12/05 at 05:46 PM

Do a search for a car called the Malone Skunk. They seem to have it pretty well sorted. They use a wide car tyre on the back and motorbike tyres on the front. Got very good reviews when it was launched and believe it is still about.

Ben.

andres - 7/12/05 at 06:12 PM

how about the Grinnall scorpion 3, the one on http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/grinnall.html is 350 kg and 300 bhp

Micke Fredriksson - 11/12/05 at 09:45 AM

The cornering issues with a 3-wheeler with 2 front ,1 rear wheel is really simpel.

You need very low CG (center of gravity), wide front track- And the most important: As much weight in the front as possible!!

The balance (over/under steer) is decided of the weight distribution (front/rear).
Front heavy: Understeering (but you can easy power oversteer ) = easy to control!!
Rear heavy: Oversteering everywhere - Not good!!

Take a look at my website. There is very much interresing to read!
MRIDE.SE

[Edited on 11/12/05 by Micke Fredriksson]

joolsmi16 - 20/12/05 at 01:06 AM

Hi Micke is well founding in his comments in that he has buillt a trike/tri-car and its performance is visable on his web page.

A trike/tricar will always trip or roll over but as Micke as stated keeping the C of G lower and a large % of weight over the front wheels with as little upspring mass as possble will limit the possibility of roll or lift.

But again its all a compromise with performance a tricar weighing 350kg with 160bhp and geared correctly will definetly match the high end track cars begin 0-100 mph sub 5 sec and with my software 0-100 in 4 secs is possible but no doubt a tricar would not be able to match the cornering capabilites as the same as a bike can, but a tricar can accelerate and brake much effectively than a bike.

akumabito - 20/12/05 at 01:19 AM

I wonder how the tilt-steering of the Aprillia Magnet works? That could be interesting as well

iank - 20/12/05 at 02:09 AM

There is some discussion of 3 wheeler handling here:
http://www.rqriley.com/3-wheel.htm

The guy claims that correctly designed a 3 wheeler can corner better than a 4 wheeler due to a superior yaw response rate. No idea if it's true/practical/complete bobbins, but interesting stuff. There is also some discussion of how leaning designs handle.

russbost - 21/12/05 at 11:56 PM

3 wheelers can be made to handle very well indeed. A low CofG helps but the essential thing is that there is no high weight over the single wheel - hence why Reliants fall over. I drove a 1100 Mini engined 3 wheeler years ago which would have knocked spots off many modern "performance " cars for both handling & speed - the big problem with high power outputs & only 1 wheel driving is the lack of traction.