Board logo

Does anyone know the weight of the MX5 engine?
KFC - 25/1/14 at 11:31 AM

Hi,
I'm just after more info for the conversion on a MX5. Does anyone know the weight of a 1.6 or 1.8 engine without auxiliaries or the engine bare? I've seen the KLDE engine weighs 112kg bare so I want to keep track of the difference.
I don't have the MX5 yet, sore subject ..... I'm extending my garage first, I want it to be a more comfortable working environment first as I'm sure I'll be spending a lot of time in there.

big-vee-twin - 25/1/14 at 12:53 PM

The Duratec weighs about 100kg bare. I
I was able to lift mine in my arms.

MakeEverything - 25/1/14 at 04:23 PM

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=188398

KFC - 26/1/14 at 01:10 PM

quote:
Originally posted by big-vee-twin
The Duratec weighs about 100kg bare. I
I was able to lift mine in my arms.

Yeah I think it has an aluminium block so it will be lighter to cast iron block of the mx5 1.6 or 1.8 engine..

KFC - 26/1/14 at 01:30 PM

quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=188398

Thanks for that, it helps so I can plan the engine choice. I have a 2.5L V6. The car won't be an out right racer but I will make a lot of changes. I'm an ex race mechanic and like the idea modifying a car. The V6 is light but I feel it won't have the all important sound that it should, I love the burble sound of the V8 on tick over and roar but it seems no V8 will fit with ease. The exhaust installation is important, equal length and a balance pipe. The Rover sounds good but have a bad reputation, the lexus V8 has been done. I just don't know.
Oh, it will be running on LPG as my own car runs on it, so cheap and no real difference in power.

skov - 27/1/14 at 01:06 PM

Ah ha, I can see this thread now

I'm in the process of stripping the MX5 engine in the link above at the moment. If I get a chance / can be ar5ed I'll try to weigh the ancillaries as I go.
I'm guessing it'll be close to 100kg bare. There's a fair few kgs in that cast inlet manifold alone!