Board logo

urgent !!!
nick-york - 6/10/14 at 06:31 PM

Small locking petrol cap .35 mm diameter + locking lugs is too big .Its smaller than a standard size cap . Lost mine on sunday ! Cheers - nick

gremlin1234 - 6/10/14 at 06:53 PM

".35 mm diameter", is really really small, (about 'N' gauge)

splitrivet - 6/10/14 at 07:12 PM

Seems a bit abrupt, mind you it must be frustrating filling your tank with a syringe.
Cheers,
Bob

jeffw - 6/10/14 at 07:13 PM

a very small syringe

nick-york - 6/10/14 at 07:28 PM

Its very small . I would think it needs to be about 33 mm diameter . And at filling station the nozzle only just goes in ! Not much room ! Cheers - nick

tul214 - 6/10/14 at 08:11 PM

facepalm
facepalm

nick-york - 6/10/14 at 08:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by tul214
facepalm
facepalm

Thats exactly how I felt this morning when I realised id left the filler cap on top of the car at the filling station in sunday and set off !! No chance of finding that again !

leon51274 - 7/10/14 at 07:22 AM

Makes Sense to teather it.

40inches - 7/10/14 at 07:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by leon51274
Makes Sense to teather it.

Yep! that's one part of IVA that makes sense, I have got home after filling the MK to find the filler cap dangling over the back of the
car. Twice

jeffw - 7/10/14 at 07:55 AM

quote:

Small locking petrol cap .35 mm diameter + locking lugs is too big .Its smaller than a standard size cap . Lost mine on sunday ! Cheers - nick

how are you going to tether a 0.35mm filler cap?

adithorp - 7/10/14 at 08:00 AM

It's the only IVA requirement thats been retro' fitted to my SVA'd car.

I followed one mate with it rolling about on his rear deck after a fill up, who (eventually) stopped because I was flashing/hooting at him; Another who after fighting through a French towns one-way system, had to go back because he'd left the cap on the pump; Another we had to wait 30 min's for because he was searching a field of wheat for the cap someone else luckily spotted flying off; Plus the several times I've remembered as I've left the petrol station and stopped to refit mine. All that convinced me to add the teather and it's saved the cap a couple of times.

Nick, have you been back to the filling station? They often get handed in and kept safe. From the description it doesn't sound like a common cap so even if inconvienient would be worth it.

russbost - 7/10/14 at 10:15 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
quote:

Spiders silk! Simples!

James - 7/10/14 at 11:27 AM

This'll be some Eurocrat measure to reduce fuel usage!

Bloody euro-loonies!

jeffw - 7/10/14 at 01:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by russbost
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
quote:

Spiders silk! Simples!

Lol....

nick-york - 7/10/14 at 08:42 PM

Derrh !! It should of said 35 mm ! Not .35 mm ! I only realised that yesterday afternoon. Thats predictive text for you on a mobile phone with a smallish screen. Getting a locking cap was on the agenda since I bought the car but priority was putting new mirrors on for safer driving.I think its a filler cap of a classic car .I ll have to keep looking for somewhere that sells them.

gremlin1234 - 7/10/14 at 09:26 PM

for a suitable cap,
try a triumph herald, or original mini.
ps this full stop ' . ' is the size of the mislaid one ;-)

steve m - 7/10/14 at 09:45 PM

My locking cap does not come off the key, until locked back in place, and just as well, as it would make a mess of my left knee, smashing about in the ignition

ReMan - 7/10/14 at 09:55 PM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
My locking cap does not come off the key, until locked back in place, and just as well, as it would make a mess of my left knee, smashing about in the ignition

Tethereed is better still, grrrr
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=171692

nick-york - 8/10/14 at 08:41 PM

Cheers everyone for all the amusing comments and help . Theres a bloke who lives near me and he has a boxfull of old petrol caps and hes sure one will fit. As for going back to the garage I dont think itll of dropped off on the forecourt .But flung off somewhere when I went round the roundabout nearby and its not real close to where I live .