Board logo

ST170 oil filter nipple
hughpinder - 11/1/18 at 10:32 AM

Hello All,

I am after the nipple that screws into the engine block of a ford ST170 engine for the oil filter to screw on to. I didn't notice that it wasnt there when I bought the engine. The nipple is 3/4 UNF on the filter side and (probably) 1" UNF on the block side. I have one from a standard zetec E, but unfortunately that is 3/4 UNF both ends!

Does anybody have one laying around? (obviously doesn't need to be a ford one as long as the threads are right). I called ford thinking it would be a couple of quid max,- £142 inc VAT!!!!! I could have one made for about 20!

Thanks
Hugh

peter030371 - 11/1/18 at 10:59 AM

Sorry can't help directly but I thought the ST170 was a Zetec just with VVT added so will the oil filter fittings not be the same?

hughpinder - 11/1/18 at 11:03 AM

I thought so too, and since I has a standard 2.0 silvertop sat on the drive I whipped the nipple out - it is 3/4 unf both ends and is much too small on the block end. I measured that as 1" to the outside of the threads, so I am guessing it is 1"UNF (couldn't find my thread gauge to check)

Daf - 11/1/18 at 11:57 AM

The ST170 has an oil cooler take off as standard, I ditched this and fitted a rover K-series oil filter. Is it the thing in the picture below you're looking for?

hughpinder - 11/1/18 at 12:33 PM

yes that's it - I had assumed the filter span onto a thread as on as 'normal' engine.

I assume you had the threaded bit to attach your filter to!

Thanks for that info
Hugh

Daf - 11/1/18 at 12:39 PM

Sorry about the terrible picture - it's dark in that corner of my shed!

The take off plate comes with a female thread the same as the inside of an oil filter and a sleeve with another male thread on the other end for the actual oil filter. I ditched the lot!

You're welcome to the one in the picture - the block is in the corner of my shed storing brushes! If you PM me your address I can pop it in the post for you.

Cheers

Daf

hughpinder - 11/1/18 at 12:44 PM

Fantastic, I'll take you up on that offer.
Sent my address using U2U.

Thanks
Hugh