Board logo

Wanted: Loan or hire of hot knife
TimC - 3/3/18 at 10:49 PM

Hi All,

The woven conduit that I’ve bought at considerable cost to wrap my loom is apparently much better cut with a hot knife. I was reasonably prepared to buy a cheap one - except they don’t seem to exist; entry level is c.£60.

Can anyone help? I’m happy to pay a deposit etc.

Cheers

Schrodinger - 4/3/18 at 08:25 AM

I have used a cheap disposable craft knife, heated it with a gas blow torch and used that for similar cutting in the past.

David Jenkins - 4/3/18 at 09:17 AM

You could also buy a cheap soldering iron (if you haven't got one already) and graft a craft knife blade onto the tip. If you get one with readily-available interchangeable tips (like an Antec) then you'll have a serviceable tool at the end of the job.

bonzoronnie - 4/3/18 at 10:21 AM

How about something like this.

Ebay item No: 182684842042

Comes with a hot knife attachment.
We use a similar one on the boats, a very handy bit of kit indeed.

rf900rush - 4/3/18 at 10:24 AM

An alternative.

Cutting with sharp scissors then melt the ends (carefully) works.

or gas powered cheap one
L INK

Some of these come with soldering bits as well. Double the use, may justify the cost.

trextr7monkey - 5/3/18 at 01:40 AM

I’m not certain if If was a manufactured item or a homemade addition but I saw a powerful Weller soldering iron with a flat blade on the end being used to cut and seal climbing ropes I might have a similar iron going spare if I can find it,
Atb
Mike

nick205 - 5/3/18 at 01:41 PM

Not used it for a while, but on my old soldering iron you can change (replace) the end which is held in place with a grub screw.

Could you not fit a cut down scalpel to create a hot blade?

stevebubs - 5/3/18 at 11:36 PM

This comes with hot air and hot knife - great for both cutting and fitting heatshrink

https://www.maplin.co.uk/p/pro-iroda-solderpro-70w-gas-soldering-iron-kit-n13ar