Board logo

Whats the best tool for cutting 2mm ali sheet ?
Andybarbet - 26/2/11 at 03:41 PM

Ive got to make a backplate for my throttle bodies and many other ali brackets etc for the build.

I normally use a jigsaw but find the blades clog up.

What do other people use ? I have access to an air nibbler at work and i also have angle grinder, hacksaw etc at home.

Just wondered what the preferred tool is or are special jigsaw blades if available ??

Cheers

rusty nuts - 26/2/11 at 03:46 PM

Have you tried a woodworking coping saw with plenty of cutting fluid?. Worked OK when I made my manifold out of 12mm ally plate

adithorp - 26/2/11 at 03:53 PM

Air nibbler works well but takes skill to get a clean line. If using jig saw brush some parafin along the line to be cut will stop the swarf sticking

T66 - 26/2/11 at 04:03 PM

Jigsaw blades clog up, are you spraying wd40 on the work as you go ?

I cut 5mm chequer plate with my scabby old Bosch jiggy and it managed ok, bit slow but worked ok.

2cv - 26/2/11 at 04:25 PM

A jigsaw will be fine for cutting 2mm aluminium but use a coarse blade and make sure you clamp the aluminium tightly down.

alexg1965 - 26/2/11 at 04:30 PM

I found I could get very nice cuts with an air nibbler by clamping a steel rule to the ali sheet 4.5mm (for my air nibbler) from where I want the cut to be and running the edge of the nibbler against it. Obviously this only works for straight lines but you could cut out a pattern in thin hardboard or something similar for more complicated shapes.

Andybarbet - 26/2/11 at 04:32 PM

Cheers for the replys - it seems i have everything i need then, just a bit of WD40 or paraffin added should do the trick.

I will try the nibbler along a straight edge trick one lunchtime at work too

minitici - 26/2/11 at 04:37 PM

I find the easiest way is to sketch the part on the CAD system and send the file to andyw7de for him to cut on his waterjet.......

Andybarbet - 26/2/11 at 05:02 PM

Now thats a plan

MakeEverything - 26/2/11 at 05:03 PM

You can borrow my drill powered nibbler if you want?

Andybarbet - 26/2/11 at 05:07 PM

OOh, cheers rich, may take you up on that, i have a bench clamp to fit a hand drill into.

Im in the depths of the garage finding more things i didnt know i had today
Plus that means another trip to the dump, how is it that no matter how many portable tv's i throw out, i still find more in the garage ????? ive found 2 today !