Board logo

What could possibly go wrong
Theshed - 4/7/11 at 05:43 AM

Much to my surprise I got away with this.........@ 750rpm (as fast as I dared)

lathe counterbalanced
lathe counterbalanced

shaun fulcrum - 4/7/11 at 06:14 AM

I hope you had safety glasses on

Triton - 4/7/11 at 07:08 AM

Proper engineering, making use of the tools you have. It looks damn scary but ingenious at the same time

David Jenkins - 4/7/11 at 07:09 AM

Never mind the safety glasses...

I think I'd have been happier fixing that piece to a faceplate... if you've got one, that is!

[Edited on 4/7/11 by David Jenkins]

HowardB - 4/7/11 at 07:31 AM

I think I would have clamped the part on a vertical slide, and used the chuck to hold the tool, that would have been my preferred method.

Having said that, as above, well done,...

adithorp - 4/7/11 at 07:33 AM

I assume you stood well back the first time. How long was the stick you pressed the start button with ?

scootz - 4/7/11 at 07:43 AM

I wish I could work out what I'm looking at!

big_wasa - 4/7/11 at 07:55 AM

nice work

daviep - 4/7/11 at 07:58 AM

That's look's nicely done apart from the packers jubileed to the chuck.

Is the stuff jubileed to the chuck just for balance? If so did you try with out the balance weights? I've never even thought of balancing the chuck but now that I've seen it I'm sure I'll need to try it sometime

I like your clamp for the fourth jaw.

What were you more scared of letting go the jubilee or the job?

Davie

mcerd1 - 4/7/11 at 08:40 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I wish I could work out what I'm looking at!

its a lathe

designer - 4/7/11 at 08:50 AM

quote:

I think I would have clamped the part on a vertical slide, and used the chuck to hold the tool, that would have been my preferred method.

Me too, but well done.

Theshed - 4/7/11 at 03:03 PM

I wasn't worried about the job flying out but it was wildly out of balance and shook the whole shed! I used alloy wheel weights to come up with an approximate balance. It worked reasonably well but a light vibration. I was crapping myself that the jubilee clips would snap!

It is a CNC lathe running on Mach3 and the hole I have bored has a tolerance of 0.0005" (in theory in fact I needed a bit of lapping) it is also radiused meaning that letting the lathe spin the tool would be tricky. Lest anybody says CNC..."thats not locost" let it be known that the lathe cost £700 from the great ebay never used by a technical college - a few new electronics and off we went.

What is it........it is a wishbone end. The hole is for a push in spherical bearing that is staked into a chamfer. The reason it is so long is that it passes through a small hole in the tub.