Board logo

exhaust hose to extend exhaust out of the garage
Chris_Xtreme - 25/3/14 at 10:39 PM

Ideally I want to be able to run the car in the garage, with the doors open(garage) and have the 2 side exhausts extended out of the garage. (mainly so I can get underneath and see where the oil is coming out from after I have run it for a bit)

I'm trying to find a rubber fitting to go over the exhaust and a cloth pipe to take the fumes out. some thing like they use with the exhaust air jacks..

any one doing this / thoughts / where to buy ?

cheers

Chris

designer - 25/3/14 at 10:50 PM

I use a plastic drainpipe (connected end kept away from contact with exhaust) and a £9 bathroom extractor to suck away the fumes.

ashg - 25/3/14 at 11:25 PM

wouldn't bother you will be fine with the doors open.

FazerBob - 25/3/14 at 11:35 PM

I've been using an old vacuum cleaner for years. Works a treat as an extractor fan.

Chris_Xtreme - 25/3/14 at 11:36 PM

i've tried - it is horrible! the fumes hang around for ages.

I like the simple pipe and extractor... double up for me - pipe on each side.

I'd have to have a right angle bit of gutter too straight away - will that take the heat?

pewe - 26/3/14 at 10:50 AM

Slightly different application but could work for you as well.
The bike makes a huge amount of noise when run up (three cylinders, high lift cams and minimal silencing) so I use a couple of lengths of old stainless flue liner I happened to have knocking about.
These slip easily over the silencers to take the exhaust gases away, plus a load of glass fibre insulation at the ends stop a lot of the noise disturbing the neighbours.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

Chris_Xtreme - 26/3/14 at 11:37 AM

glass fibre insulation is a good thought for sealing the exhaust can to what ever pipe.. like it.

steve m - 26/3/14 at 12:45 PM

I am unable to verify this, but our old next door neighbour used to run his Austin 7 in a closed garage, by using a steel bent pipe, over the exhast pipe, and then into a large container of water,

He assured me, that the water took all the carbon monoxide and nasty stuff out of the air

he did that for years

Cant ask him, as he died last year of prostate cancer !
and i am not joking

steve

MikeRJ - 26/3/14 at 04:02 PM

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Slightly different application but could work for you as well.
The bike makes a huge amount of noise when run up (three cylinders, high lift cams and minimal silencing) so I use a couple of lengths of old stainless flue liner I happened to have knocking about.
These slip easily over the silencers to take the exhaust gases away, plus a load of glass fibre insulation at the ends stop a lot of the noise disturbing the neighbours.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

When I need to run the engine on my bike for any length of time at home I have an old ZX12R silencer which I join up to the end of the bike silencer with a short length of silicone hose. Hugely quietens the exhaust down so I don't annoy the neighbors.

Irony - 26/3/14 at 05:18 PM

When rewiring my house I create a appalling amount of dust. It was terrible. I got one of those metal floor fans and wedged one in a window pointing out. It extracted the dust so quickly from the room I was worried someone would call the fire brigade as so much billowing white dust made it seem like the house was burning. If you have a small window it might serve as a easy locost option.

Irony - 26/3/14 at 05:20 PM

If you could source metal pipe to the outside then it would also heat the garage in the winter!!!