Board logo

Corded Drill Recommendations
SteveWallace - 29/2/16 at 12:42 PM

Around 25 years ago I bought a good quality Black & Decker mains powered hammer drill. This has lasted me through three house moves and one and a half car builds, but it's finally decided to give up the ghost. It's drilled many thousands of holes in all sorts of materials and I'm almost shedding a tear at its loss

I have a battery powered drill but I want to replace the B&D for those harder jobs. I want something that will last, not the cr*p that's mostly sold these days that gives up just after the end of the guarantee period.

What would the collective recommend?

Irony - 29/2/16 at 01:33 PM

I bought a Screwfix Cheapy Tital SDS drill. I have renovated one house and started another with. Its not clever but it has drill, drill/hammer and plain old hammer. The hammer function is great for removing tiles, chasing out sockets and generally wrecking stuff.

I doubt it would stand up to daily use by a professional builder but for a enthusiastic amateur like me it's been great. Just look at the reviews.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/titan-ttb278sds-5kg-sds-drill-230-240v/97533

I actually have the smaller version. But the reviews of that one are just as good.

HowardB - 29/2/16 at 01:39 PM

metabo,.....mine is 25 years old and still swings a 6" diamond hole saw without issue

Chris_Xtreme - 29/2/16 at 03:02 PM

I've had one of the following with a screw chuck(hand do up), then I had to replace it after the robin hood build and got the one where you need to chuck key. the reason to replace was that the chuck started to wobble a bit, I reckon down to me pushing to hard being impatient drilling stainless over and over.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-con1200-contractor-hammer-drill/

theconrodkid - 29/2/16 at 04:38 PM

Another vote for screwfix titan tools,they are prob the same as better known brands but a lot cheaper and do the job just as well.

gregs - 29/2/16 at 06:30 PM

Assuming for DIY - Hitachi sds - about £100, best drill ive ever had and effortless through most materials.