Board logo

What drill sharpener?
alistairolsen - 16/5/18 at 10:46 AM

I've got a heap of old drills which have lost their edge. Whilst not perfect for 'good' work (I keep a nice set for that), it would be nice to be able to sharpen them.

Can anyone recommend a decent drill sharpener that doesnt cost the earth?

Thanks

tegwin - 16/5/18 at 11:09 AM

This should be all you need

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cbg6rp-6in-bench-grinder/

russbost - 16/5/18 at 11:17 AM

Second the above, never found a drill sharpener that was really any good, just carefully run the end against the grinder, keep cutting angle the same "as is" & ensure that the highest point is the cutting edge, you won't get it right every time, or possibly at all to start with, but once you get the knack it's easy. I've resharpened drills that have broken clean thro' & they still cut fine

907 - 16/5/18 at 11:28 AM

I third the above.

MikeR - 16/5/18 at 12:47 PM

I've got the grinder, and an attachment to help set the drill to it. Can't figure it out so bought an aldi special. Also seems ok, but only done a couple

JonBowden - 16/5/18 at 05:30 PM

I can fourth that, get a bench grinder then watch some you tube videos on drill sharpening.

myke pocock - 16/5/18 at 07:02 PM

Hate to disagree but I have done my drills the way described and it is very easy to get them slightly off center and that means it only really cuts on one edge. Also they can drift off line. Why not get none of these to attach to the grinder?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sealey-Drill-Bit-Sharpener-Grinding-Attachment-Ref-SMS01-For-Bench-Grinder/332623640006?epid=11018235415&hash=item4d71e 9f5c6:g:m9cAAOSwNSJa1d2o

alistairolsen - 17/5/18 at 12:22 PM

I have a bench grinder, but not the knack for sharpening them accurately. Been doing them that way so far but wanted something guided and simple. It would appear however that they're not really all they're cracked up to be.

Thanks

wment - 17/5/18 at 06:21 PM

I have tried sharpening bits on a bench grinder but do not have the knack. I got a Drill Doctor, a bit pricey but seems to work ok. It says bits as small as 3/32" but I have not had much luck under 3/16".
wm

907 - 17/5/18 at 09:33 PM

quote:
Originally posted by myke pocock
Hate to disagree but I have done my drills the way described and it is very easy to get them slightly off center and that means it only really cuts on one edge.

Also they can drift off line. Why not get none of these to attach to the grinder?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

eBay Item

Love the typo

[Edited on 17/5/18 by 907]