Board logo

Air compressor SIP TS2/25
Paul TigerB6 - 16/11/07 at 05:19 PM

evenin all

After some advice from all you guys with experience of air compressors. Just been looking at this compressor in Costco for under £100 with a some tools included (spray gun, hose, tyre inflator etc) http://www.worldofpower.co.uk/acatalog/Airmate_Oil_Free_Air_Compressors.html

I'm looking for a compressor basically to run an electrostatic magic kit, air rivetter, blasting cabinet etc. I know the tank might be pretty small but dont envisage doing paint spraying of panels etc so would this be any good?? If i'm looking at the correct figure its 8CFM air displacement so should be enough???

Whats your thoughts before i get one (its an xmas pressie from my dad if its any good)

[Edited on 16/11/07 by Paul TigerB6]

big_wasa - 16/11/07 at 05:38 PM

No good for the blasting cabinet, They need huge amounts of air even the little ones.

Mines rated at about 13cfm and ran flat out on a small cabinet.

Paul TigerB6 - 16/11/07 at 05:48 PM

So a 3HP motor really would be best?? Just off out for the evening now so will get back to this tomorrow so will hold off buying.

jacko - 16/11/07 at 06:15 PM

Paul my son had one like that and it was not very good the one he had had a piston at the end of the motor and it fell to bits the fan also broke of 3 times [ it was junk]
If i was you i would look for a compressor were a belt drives the compressor of the motor[ more pro then amateur

Mal - 16/11/07 at 06:22 PM

Some compressor suppliers only give a compressor rating in CFM, this is the total piston movement volume multiplied by the speed in revs per minute.
It is a theoretical figure because it does not take into account the 'breathing' efficiency of the valving and porting.
Better suppliers also give the more valid figure of FAD, free air delivery. This is the actual measured pumping of the compressor. It is typically 66% of the CFM figure.

HTH

Bluemoon - 17/11/07 at 09:11 AM

Aldi do one from time to time it's like the "SIP 01570 Airmate T2/50-D Air Compressors, Direct Drive." but with a 24lt reciver.

I have two and intend to couple then together when needed (they have a high preasure outlet to the reciver)! only about 60 quid a pop! Lot better than 180 quid for the SIP one...

But as said, if you realy want a good one go for a comercial belt drive version.. For many things you better of with the electric version of the tool...

Having said this I do use mine a lot (mostly for dusting off etc).

Dan

Paul TigerB6 - 17/11/07 at 04:25 PM

Thanks chaps. Will have a look at the second hand market then and get one up to the job. Someone else told me belt drive was the much better option too and as it will end up getting a fair bit of use I may as well get one that will last.

Paul TigerB6 - 20/11/07 at 12:37 PM

Ok chaps, I am currently looking at a couple of 2nd hand compressors that are advertised. Both look A1 condition and both are around 18 months old.

Whats the opinion on the SIP Airmate T3/100 SRB ( http://www.sipuk.co.uk/acatalog/info_SIP06634.html )

and also the Clarke PE16C50 ( http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/range/details/clarke-industrial-portable-electric-air-compres/path/professionalindustrial-air-compressors-elect )

Both have 3HP motors and are belt driven. Both are also a similar price 2nd hand (as well as new) but is there any reliability / spares issues with either??

I am looking to run general workshop air tools and a smallish blasting cabinet.

Ta