Board logo

DVD backups
JamJah - 17/1/09 at 08:20 PM

I am thinking of downloading AnyDVD for my laptop as I have a mix of Region 1 and 2s and dont want to max the Region Change counter.
But for my desktop what shout I use. On my desktop computer I do make personal use backups so I am thinking of DVD Ghost or DVD X Player as they have both functions in one package.
Any knowledgable souls got any thoughts or advice?

tendoshingan - 17/1/09 at 08:43 PM

Only ever used DVD Shrink and backed up to region 0, so never a problem playing them.
To stop your region change counter, find some firmware update for your dvd player, linky, so that it will be region free.
Hope that helps

coozer - 17/1/09 at 09:22 PM

For simply less than a tenner why not get another DVD Rom drive and use one for R1 & one for R2.

That was my solution, saving having to rip, compress and burn movies.

JamJah - 17/1/09 at 09:59 PM

Good solution...!
Unfortunately doesnt help with when im away from home. but some good lateral thinking.

higgsti - 17/1/09 at 10:58 PM

another vote for dvd shrink

Hellfire - 18/1/09 at 01:09 AM

I have AnyDVD, it rips out the security encription and is updated regularly to add new codes etc - it is an awesome piece of kit but it doesn't shrink.

I use AnyDVD and DVDShrink if I want to put it on "my sons" DS. If I recall DVDShrink does not take out the encryption? I'm sure someone will tell me soon enough...

Steve

flak monkey - 18/1/09 at 09:02 AM

DVD shrink is good, but wont copy some new movies. DVD fab will though, again it is free, but it will only rip, not shrink the dvd, so you will then need to shrink it using DVD shrink.

Allegedly

David

BenB - 18/1/09 at 09:36 AM

DVD shrink won't handle so movie on it's own but I've yet to find one that I can rip first with DVD decrypter then use DVD shrink on....

Mark Allanson - 22/1/09 at 09:31 PM

DVDFab platinum 4 does the lot, will copy, shrink and burn a new DVD in 15 mins.