Board logo

Bonnet catches...
Rob55 - 23/12/13 at 11:24 PM

Looking for ideas for bonnet catches, have the dreaded IVA to pass but don't want the ugly rubber catches. Also going racing so want something easily accessible whilst keeping the bonnet firmly attached.

Any ideas??

ceebmoj - 23/12/13 at 11:44 PM

Aero catches? Look nice and IVA friendly.

Rob55 - 23/12/13 at 11:50 PM

Any pics?

Neil2004 - 23/12/13 at 11:52 PM

Aerocatch?
www.burtonpower.com/parts-by-category/body-styling/fasteners-locks/aerocatch-plus-flush-non-locking-pair-t120-2000.html

Neil2004 - 23/12/13 at 11:55 PM

www.aerocatch.com/aerocatch

theprisioner - 24/12/13 at 09:44 AM

Aero
Aero

Great product and by now you will have discovered cost, easy to fit and not as robust as I would have expected considering how much they cost. I have not had any failures. By far the best looking catches IMO.

ceebmoj - 24/12/13 at 01:34 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner
Aero
Aero

Great product and by now you will have discovered cost, easy to fit and not as robust as I would have expected considering how much they cost. I have not had any failures. By far the best looking catches IMO.

Care to elaborate on not being all that robust?

sdh2903 - 24/12/13 at 01:41 PM

+1 for aero catches pricey but very good and secure. I bought the lockable ones for when I leave it parked so no scrotes can muck about with the bonnet.

theprisioner - 24/12/13 at 01:47 PM

Care to elaborate on not being all that robust?

I have read (on web forums) of failures, I guess if you abuse them they would brake. The most likely failure is if you don't take care lining them up before operating the actuating leaver they could break. As I have said (and I have four of them) I have had no failures but I have taken care!

ceebmoj - 24/12/13 at 04:08 PM

quote:
Originally posted by theprisioner
I have read (on web forums) of failures, I guess if you abuse them they would brake. The most likely failure is if you don't take care lining them up before operating the actuating leaver they could break. As I have said (and I have four of them) I have had no failures but I have taken care!

Thanks for the info I have only ever heard positive things about aero catches.

theprisioner - 24/12/13 at 05:02 PM

Coastfab have an article about the failures on their own site:

http://www.coastfab.com/aerocatch.html

Apparently you should use steel catch pins for extreme use!