Board logo

What colour brake calipers?
Slimy38 - 11/1/18 at 04:16 PM

This might seem a really basic question, but I wanted to get at least some of the little details right. If I'm aiming for the Healey mark 3 lookalike, what colour should the brake calipers be? I'm thinking a dark grey colour, getting them blending into the background rather than bringing them out with a red or yellow. I wasn't sure whether black was an appropriate colour either.

I can't really tell from online pictures what colour they should be (and I'm not even sure whether Healeys even had disc brakes!!)

CosKev3 - 11/1/18 at 05:16 PM

I like silver myself, looks nice and clean but not in your face like red etc

nick205 - 11/1/18 at 05:17 PM

Don't know about Healeys, but modern tintop calipers (I think) are usually something like a Zinc and clear passivate finish to avoid corrosion. Seems to be fancier cars (and calipers) that are finished in a gaudy red or yellow.

loggyboy - 11/1/18 at 05:17 PM

If your going OE look then bare metal.
What colour car and style/colour of wheel?

Angel Acevedo - 11/1/18 at 06:40 PM

Brighter colors are also a 817ch to keep clean...
But if you fancy cleaning them every now and then, then, thatīs OK.

gremlin1234 - 11/1/18 at 08:17 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
yea I was trying to remember the term for 'light rust'
matt black is good too

Slimy38 - 12/1/18 at 12:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

Car colour is probably a British racing green, wheels are the mx5 'minilite' style and will probably also be a medium to dark grey.

I was thinking bare metal, maybe with a protective clear coat if such a thing exists in vht paint.

CosKev3 - 12/1/18 at 06:36 AM

They need to be painted/coated in something IMO,bare metal even lacquered looks like you couldn't be bothered!