Board logo

Current PU/adhesive recommendations
jps - 17/1/24 at 11:50 AM

Am looking at rivetting/bonding some brackets/alu strips to my chassis. I won't use a full tube of sealant so don't want to fork out for something like Sikaflex if there is a reasonably good budget alternative (or something available in smaller than the 'full size' tubes that seem common.

I know this has been well covered in the past, but products do change, so hoping for some recommendations from recent experience. Thinking maybe Puraflex 40 PU Sealant & Adhesive 300ml Black (current Toolstation product) - at £8 a tube.

cliftyhanger - 17/1/24 at 12:36 PM

PU40 is good stuff. But as always depends on prep.
There are loads of "new" sealant/adhesives around. I use a lot of "Fix All" but not tried it for bonding brackets. I prefer mechanical fixings where possible.

Mr Whippy - 17/1/24 at 12:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jps
Am looking at rivetting/bonding some brackets/alu strips to my chassis. I won't use a full tube of sealant so don't want to fork out for something like Sikaflex if there is a reasonably good budget alternative (or something available in smaller than the 'full size' tubes that seem common.

I know this has been well covered in the past, but products do change, so hoping for some recommendations from recent experience. Thinking maybe Puraflex 40 PU Sealant & Adhesive 300ml Black (current Toolstation product) - at £8 a tube.

I used that for my Dalek (attaching plywood to plastic) as I could not get Tiger seal locally when I needed it and Tool Station is just up the road. Seems fine but remains a bit softer than Tiger Seal when cured, possibly was slower to cure also. Horrible to get off your hands though, wear gloves. I have not tried to remove it or the parts but they seem very well attached. Used in addition with some rivets that would be great for brackets.

cliftyhanger - 17/1/24 at 01:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by jps

I used that for my Dalek (attaching plywood to plastic) as I could not get Tiger seal locally when I needed it and Tool Station is just up the road. Seems fine but remains a bit softer than Tiger Seal when cured, possibly was slower to cure also. Horrible to get off your hands though, wear gloves. I have not tried to remove it or the parts but they seem very well attached. Used in addition with some rivets that would be great for brackets.

I use cheap baby wipes to get sealants off my hands. They actually work. Just as well as the expensive mechanics/builders wipes (but smaller)
I think PU40 will clean up with white spirit too, but that may be me getting confused.

Slimy38 - 17/1/24 at 01:53 PM

I was about to suggest eurocarparts is good for tigerseal, they often have it on the shelf. But it's quite expensive just on it's own (£9.49), and their current 'offer' isn't applicable.

If you wait to see what their next offer is, you could do a click and collect for a decent price.

jps - 17/1/24 at 03:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I was about to suggest eurocarparts is good for tigerseal, they often have it on the shelf. But it's quite expensive just on it's own (£9.49), and their current 'offer' isn't applicable.

If you wait to see what their next offer is, you could do a click and collect for a decent price.

Cheers - had it in my mind that TigerSeal was pretty cheap (compared to Sika).

Basically trying to avoid throwing away half a tube of perfectly good sealant - but also need to get some bits bonded on before I can get onto the next step (fitting the hardline fuel and brake lines - once they go into the tunnel they can't just be popped in and out...)...

[Edited on 17/1/24 by jps]

Slimy38 - 17/1/24 at 04:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jps

Cheers - had it in my mind that TigerSeal was pretty cheap (compared to Sika).

Basically trying to avoid throwing away half a tube of perfectly good sealant - but also need to get some bits bonded on before I can get onto the next step (fitting the hardline fuel and brake lines - once they go into the tunnel they can't just be popped in and out...)...

I've resigned myself to getting through several half-tubes of sealant. I thought I could get everything lined up before making a start, but I just can't get a sequence of events that can be done in a weekend let alone a few hours. And having to bin half a tube of adhesive is going to be infinitely better than trying to use a full tube and making a hash of it.

I think Tigerseal used to be cheap and just went up with inflation, but then so did Sika. Depending on which one you choose it's up to £20 on Amazon.

Myke 2463 - 18/1/24 at 07:33 AM

Tiger seal @ Halfords £ 9.79 without trade card.

Mr Whippy - 18/1/24 at 08:48 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Myke 2463

One thing I've found with Tiger seal is that is goes of really quickly once opened, I've never got more than a couple of days out a tube even if I seal the end again. Apart from that it's Grrrreat! sorry

Myke 2463 - 19/1/24 at 07:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
quote:
Originally posted by Myke 2463

One thing I've found with Tiger seal is that is goes of really quickly once opened, I've never got more than a couple of days out a tube even if I seal the end again. Apart from that it's Grrrreat! sorry

I always remove the nozzle and cover the end of the tube with a silicon glove and then replace the nozzle after i have cleaned it out. Give it a try, what's to loose.