Board logo

Hammerite Stone chip paint - will it stick to aluminium ?
givemethebighammer - 19/1/06 at 11:17 PM

I'm just finishing a panel to box in the underside of the rear of my tiger. You can see some of it when standing behind the car so I want to paint it black as the aluminium will soon tarnish and look crap.
I found an aerosol of the above on the shelf in the garage. So I found a piece of scrap piece ali, gave the surface a good key with wire wool and cleaned it off with acetone. The paint seems to have gone on OK but the question is will it stay put ? Rescued attachment stonechip_products.jpg
Rescued attachment stonechip_products.jpg

Chippy - 20/1/06 at 12:11 AM

The only way to get any paint to stick to alloy, is to apply alloy self etching primer first. About £11 per spray can IIRC.

Peteff - 20/1/06 at 12:29 AM

It's underneath at the back who's going to see it and the aluminium's not going to rot if it cracks, save yourself £11 and whack it on thick

UncleFista - 20/1/06 at 02:13 AM

Hammerite do a primer called "Special metal primer" or something along those lines.
It's for painting ally before overpainting with Hammerite/smoothrite it doesn't stick properly without...

Edited to say; ah crap, I didn't read properly, didn't realise you were on about stone chip stuff....

[Edited on 20/1/06 by UncleFista]

Danozeman - 20/1/06 at 09:49 AM

what about underseal. No ones gonna see it.

02GF74 - 20/1/06 at 11:33 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman

in that case leave it as it is; why weigh yourself down?

givemethebighammer - 20/1/06 at 02:50 PM

quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman

in that case leave it as it is; why weigh yourself down?

that's the point - You can see some of it ! That's why I want to paint it black

I think as Pete says if I spray it on in a thick coat, it won't matter if it cracks a little.

DarrenW - 20/1/06 at 03:29 PM

I used smoothrite spray on a load of bits i had de-rusted. Used etch primer first (approx £8 per tin). Defo worth it imho. Saves doing the job again later.

Avoneer - 21/1/06 at 10:16 AM

Yes it will.

I sprayed my rear valance in this, straight onto the ali.

Also did my roll bar, cockpit side trims, mirrors, screen uprights etc. in this and it looked fine.

Pat...