Board logo

nitromors on aluminium ?
dave r - 23/7/07 at 04:09 PM

does it work or does it damage the alloy ???

matt_gsxr - 23/7/07 at 04:12 PM

I tried it on some revolution alloys, and it is absolutely fine.

I guess this means it isn't acid or alkali, as my o-level chemistry would suggest that either of these would disolve ali.

As they always say "Try it on a corner that you don't notice first!"

Matt

donut - 23/7/07 at 04:17 PM

As long as you wash it off after it has done it's job then i guess it would be fine.

caber - 23/7/07 at 04:44 PM

Nitromors is solvent based so has historical application for removing 12 coats of squaddie brush applied cammo paint from ex military landrover panels without leaving you with a lace effect!

However you do get lace if it was only the paint holding the corroded ally together!

Caber

oadamo - 23/7/07 at 06:22 PM

ive tryed this on alloy wheels before and it didnt work very well.
adam

Jimbob - 23/7/07 at 06:47 PM

Yup works fine just make sure you clean it off properly after

James

greggors84 - 23/7/07 at 07:06 PM

We use NitroMors on our ali tub side panels and works a treat.

dave r - 23/7/07 at 08:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by oadamo
ive tryed this on alloy wheels before and it didnt work very well.
adam

it is alloy wheels i want to try it on
they will be a bit of a sod to bead blast cos of all the corners on them ;/

ed_crouch - 23/7/07 at 08:19 PM

Its function is to permeate through the paint by solvent action, and then it off-gasses something fairly benign (nitrogen IIRC). The gas production physically lifts the softened paint/lacquer off the substrate.

DarrenW - 23/7/07 at 09:46 PM

Some wheels have a polyester / plastic coating. Bit like lacquer but a lot thicker. Nitromorse can have a bit of bother getting thro this.

ice refurbed wheels myself and also had some pro-done. Not worth the diy hassle IMHO. Probs bettr to just buy some good ones. Refurb can be false economy on budget end wheels. OK for rare or expensive alloys.