Board logo

building a plug from scratch
Kaspa - 23/3/08 at 09:12 AM

Very shortly i will have to start on the envious task of building a plug to make a body for the new toy, but as a deisel mechanic i no as much about building car bodies as i know about quantum physics.
the vast majority of it is only 2 plane so that makes it a bit easier but any help, advice on best , easiest and most cost effective way to go about it would be a great help
cheers Kaspa

zilspeed - 23/3/08 at 09:17 AM

Do a search on posts by Suparuss.

That will show you lots of good ideas.

Kaspa - 23/3/08 at 09:32 AM

Thanks mate i will do just that, i am also hoping mr Bear might offer an idea or two, as my body will be very similar to the Mclaren.
i have all the body development cad drawings to be cut out of alloy, and may go that way, the other choice is glass but as its a race car and will get bent , glass would be easier to repair or duplicate with a mould, pluss the weight difference between the two would be interesting to get an idea on
Kaspa

Benonymous - 26/3/08 at 12:46 AM

Have a look at this thread Kaspa. It's an untried method but it's practical and could be extremely accurate.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=81476

Kaspa - 26/3/08 at 06:57 AM

cheers for that ben, thats sortof the way i have been talking with a couple of mates, as we have all the devolpment full size cad drawings, we can get all the panels cut out of say 4-6 mm ply and use foam for moulding edges etc, and make a buck off of that will see how we go
Kaspa