Board logo

mac or mk?
evonigel - 14/3/11 at 06:48 AM

hi guys being a relatively newbie to the kit car scene I am after some advice on which of the two mentioned makes are the best?

balidey - 14/3/11 at 07:18 AM

Not having any experience with either I will not comment on them.
But your question 'which is best' doesn't take any factors into account.
Best as in cheapest?
Best as in easiest to build?
Best as in part availability / compatability?
Best as in customer support?

Handling and performance don't really factor as the basic kit often has no influence on final car performance, thats more to do with engine / drivetrain choice and how you set the car up.

But why have you just chosen those two? There are several others to think about adding to your list

evonigel - 14/3/11 at 07:49 AM

quote:
Originally posted by balidey
Not having any experience with either I will not comment on them.
But your question 'which is best' doesn't take any factors into account.
Best as in cheapest?
Best as in easiest to build?
Best as in part availability / compatability?
Best as in customer support?

Handling and performance don't really factor as the basic kit often has no influence on final car performance, thats more to do with engine / drivetrain choice and how you set the car up.

But why have you just chosen those two? There are several others to think about adding to your list

if i had one of each built by the same person with the same engine/suspension which would you chose and which one would be the most expensive?
open to susgestions on other makes (i want to buy one already completed)

big_l - 14/3/11 at 07:52 AM

Both Mk and mac are nice looking cars But IMHO the mnr is in a league of it's own !! And is my next car for me to build !!!!

lotusmadandy - 14/3/11 at 08:17 AM

MK for me,every time.

Andy

Mr Whippy - 14/3/11 at 08:30 AM

it's war...

best to visit the companys, have a test ride and good look at the kit packages

When I was doing my MK they were helpful over the phone. The kit parts (panels etc) were done well enough but still needed plenty of finishing and were not ready to just bolt on. But that's a while ago and maybe they have improved. Chassis was fine and well done I'd have been happier if they had not painted it as the black stuff they'd used kept flaking off but I liked their method of tube bending

[Edited on 14/3/11 by Mr Whippy]

scootz - 14/3/11 at 08:33 AM

Neither... I'd go for an MNR (or a Sylva or Raw!).

ashg - 14/3/11 at 09:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Neither... I'd go for an MNR (or a Sylva or Raw!).

me too.

mookaloid - 14/3/11 at 12:14 PM

which MK did you have in mind?

I think the Indy R is a significant improvement over the Indy.

DRC INDY 7 - 14/3/11 at 01:13 PM

Mk Indy gets my vote not interested in anything else would you really feel the difference just driving on the road plus the Mk can hold it's own on a race track

Davg - 14/3/11 at 04:42 PM

So surely you have a bit of an idea on the Indy????

Given you appear to have one for sale on pheads!!!!!!

Strange!

evonigel - 14/3/11 at 05:06 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Davg
So surely you have a bit of an idea on the Indy????

Given you appear to have one for sale on pheads!!!!!!

Strange!

yes of course i know what the indy is like but it is now sold
just want peoples opinion before i buy my next BEC

mr_pr - 14/3/11 at 05:50 PM

I went for Mac when I built mine. The cars are pretty similar having been in one of each but the customer service offered by Mac seemed to be worlds above MK. Even people who bought a mac instead of building one echo the customer service... even those who don't own a Mac often comment on the service as being great.

Mark and Colin couldn't do more to help pretty much anyone who rings them!

As for the cars, I have had no issues with my car. Little bits here and there which I have tinkered with over the year but not any dramas with regards build quality.

germanguy - 14/3/11 at 07:37 PM

mac all the way
customer service is above and beyond everything else plus the fact that a mac is in my opinion is better than a mk or in actual fact an mnr

john77cars - 14/3/11 at 09:32 PM

same here,customer service,just give mark a bell,always happy too help,plus the car is only as good as you build it.

bonesetter - 15/3/11 at 11:15 AM

I went MAC. Liked (amongst alot of points already mentioned) poly bushed engine cradle, and F&R suspension is more adjustable

These cars can be 'all over the place' when it comes to being in a straight line, so suspension tweaking is important to get the car to handle well

laptoprob - 15/3/11 at 12:47 PM

Just a quick onservation....but doesnt the MAC come as standard with Wide Track which helps loads whereas the Mindy doesnt??

I`ve spent quite a bit of time(and money) at MAC1 to get my Tiger Avon something like shipshape and have seen loads of MAC`s come and go and to be fair even the worst built ones still look great.

Panels fit well, suspension is very adjustable(unlike my Tiger) and its wide bodied to suit.

Seeen plenty of MK`s too but MAC`s get the vote everytime for me.

bonesetter - 15/3/11 at 01:06 PM

My MAC went to procomp for suspension set-up which is damper testing/matching and then full go. Whole process took 2 days as there is alot to do, and also one of the lads (other half of a father & son team) was struggling with ankle injuries.

Anyway, with many kits you are stuck with what you have as far as alot of the geo is concerned. So if you need alot of castor for example - as do many of the kits to dial in steering wheel feel you just can't get it, whereas the MAC you can.

It's not brilliant, as others are on a par as far as suspension design goes - the dampers are at too an oblique angle to work efficiently for example, but it ranks quite well.

Of course you could just buy a well sorted Westy

loggyboy - 15/3/11 at 01:12 PM

Any reason why limiting to MK and MAC?

There are many more, maybe you should consider the Raw Striker also? Proven track record and new owners seem to be keen to up the game. I had a few problems with them after ordering mine due to the change in management, but so far the kit is going together well, apart from a few missing parts that were posted to me next day!

There are arguments to and for who is better/best but alot will boil down to price and what you want from the car. There are people on here who will have experience of good and bad with pretty much every kit company out there. Best thing to do is go and see them, see how you feel about the company themselves.

ash_hammond - 15/3/11 at 10:10 PM

Agreed

quote:
Originally posted by mr_pr
I went for Mac when I built mine.

Mark and Colin couldn't do more to help pretty much anyone who rings them!

As for the cars, I have had no issues with my car. Little bits here and there which I have tinkered with over the year but not any dramas with regards build quality.

noc231073 - 27/3/11 at 08:25 PM

get anything as long as its not an MK............ I am building one and had such trouble with it and the customer service from MK is appauling ....all i want to do when its finished is sell it

coozer - 27/3/11 at 08:27 PM

MNR gets my vote. Good kit with excellent customer service and backup.

Hellfire - 27/3/11 at 08:36 PM

The MAC#1 started life as an MK which explains why they look so much alike and have similar traits.

MK Indy R would be my choice....

Phil

franky - 27/3/11 at 08:44 PM

Plenty of choice out there, just buy the one who you think will give you the most product support and after sales service.

For the above I can't fault GKD at all from any perspective, there are other good companies too.

[Edited on 27/3/11 by franky]

loggyboy - 20/3/12 at 11:26 AM

Really necessary to bump a year old post?

40inches - 21/3/12 at 09:30 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

Why not? Isn't everything to do with building these cars current, as new people come along.
The topic is as relevant now as it was a year ago. IMHO of course.

Benzine - 21/3/12 at 09:38 AM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy

Ask yourself that question, it was you who just bumped a thread a year later

fimi7 - 25/3/12 at 08:03 AM

The kit is what you make of it, and what you intend to use it for. I am building an MK. Happy with most parts not so much with many. Reasonable quality for what you pay, but you get what you pay for. Initially I planned on building my car without having to do any welding, but after a while you come to realize you have no choice but to learn.

Again it is what you make of it. With that said, I would take a good look at MNR, seen a few builds that have gone pretty smoothly. If you look through the forums at the questions from a MK builder verses an MNR builder you see the difference.

But again, its what you make of it, most of the kits I suspect are very comparable, it really comes down to the service the availability of parts. If I was to do this over, I would spend the money up front on a Westfield, rather than in bits and pieces.