Board logo

fuel pumps and bike throttle bodies
cd.thomson - 12/1/09 at 11:21 PM

I got my 2003 R1 throttle bodies (including injectors and fuel rail) through the post today ready to be mounted to my XE.

As some of you know I'm planning on fitting these as they are to a custom made manifold and running the original injectors via megasquirt. I have been told good things about the bike injectors and they should spit out enough to get everything running well.

Now then, for a question my searching hasnt answered. My standard injectors would have required a fuel injection fuel system (thanks to everyone who helped me get my head around this):

tank>low press. filter> high pressure pump > high pressure filter > fuel rail > fuel regulator > return pipe > tank

Now then, bike CARBS on an engine would require a carbed engine fuel system:

tank>in line filter> low pressure pump > filter king filter/pressure regulator > carbs

So what do bike throttle bodies need? Any ideas what pressure the injectors are designed to work under, or does it not matter because the return line will just get rid of any unused fuel?

Can I use this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=280280197505&Category=10404&_trksid=p3907.m29&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26its%3DI%26ot n%3D2

Sorry for all the questions, someone of you know that I've been waiting a couple of weeks to get all these parts sorted :$.

blakep82 - 12/1/09 at 11:32 PM

if you use the fuel pump from the same model bike as the throttle bodies, it should be easy enough, already set to the right pressure etc.

flak monkey - 13/1/09 at 07:49 AM

Most run at 3 to 3.5 bar (~45psi) as standard though they will take a bit more if you need more fuel.

Regulators are cheap enough off ebay (£20 new). And buy yourself a standard bosch type fuel pump (£10-15 from the bay)

It really is that simple.

My fuelling system is:
Tank > filter > low press pump > swirl pot > high press pump > filter > fuel rail > regulator > return to swirl pot/tank.

You will possibly need a swirl pot if your tank doesnt have one built in.

David

stuart_g - 13/1/09 at 09:22 AM

A suitable fuel pump is a bosch 0580464070. plump it in the same as an injected car and the first example on your post. The low pressure filter needs to be able to handle the flow, I got quite a small one and had to open up the holes on the inside of it to get more flow through it. No need to buy a pressure regulator as there is already one on the end of the fuel rail.