Board logo

Lambda takeoff after the turbo, is this okay?
mark chandler - 17/5/09 at 06:57 PM

Hello

I'm now busy shoving a turbo on, got one off Scootz a few weeks ago, very happy with the aerocharger turbo BTW.

So its going on my blade engine, but due to size constraints I will really struggle to get a lambda probe in before the turbo so....

If it goes in after the turbo will it really matter, it will still be within 12" of the exhaust ports, just after a fan.

I can only see it being an issue if it gets cold, but as a wideband with its own heating element it should be okay ???

Whats the opinion.

Cheers Mark

matt_claydon - 17/5/09 at 07:21 PM

It'll be fine. I've seen more OEM setups with the O2 sensor post-turbo then pre.

ashg - 17/5/09 at 07:54 PM

my old lancia delta evo II turbo had the lamba right on the elbow straight out of the turbo. it should be fine.

tomgregory2000 - 17/5/09 at 08:08 PM

I fount this site which might help you

Click me

andkilde - 17/5/09 at 08:11 PM

Probably better in fact -- wideband O2 sensors don't hold up that well to combustion chamber levels of heat -- a foot or so downstream is a much happier environment for them.

t

flak monkey - 17/5/09 at 08:36 PM

Mine is after the collector on my 4 into 1 system and works fine, so after your tubos will be fine

matnrach - 17/5/09 at 08:53 PM

You can't put a wideband pre turbo anyway as it is affected by pressure and will not read correctly (unless it is compensated for in the software)
All (as far as I know) UEGOs controllers are caliibrated at atmospheric pressure only.

mark chandler - 17/5/09 at 09:23 PM

Thanks for all the replies, the link also included a warning:

Turbo installations require the sensor to be positioned even further from
the exhaust valve. Initially try 1 metre distance from the turbo outlet. Don’t
be fooled by manufacturers placing narrowband sensors right after the turbo
outlet – wideband sensor will overheat under boost.

So its staying well back now!

Cheers Mark