Board logo

Is a swirl pot essential?
AndyW - 6/7/11 at 03:26 PM

Hi Guys n gals,

I've done a quick search and not really found a definative answer. I know it depends on use etc, but is a swirl pot needed for every day driving?

Dont see me doing track days, so do I need to put a swirl pot on or not. Will it really make a difference or leave it and see???

Answers and reasons below please.

Thanks

Andy

adithorp - 6/7/11 at 03:36 PM

No. Having a tank with a sump on the bottom helps and if set up right will eliminate fuel starvation. A traditional swirl tank with low presure feed pump to it, high presure pump out and all the feed and return pipwork is just over complicating the system. KISS is the way to go.

mark chandler - 6/7/11 at 03:44 PM

It depends upon your fuel tank, a shallow broad tank will suffer far more than a thin deep tank, my XK8 has a long tank behind the rear seats, just before the low fuel light comes on I know its running out as the engine cuts out on roundabouts, the internal pump just picks up from the centre so runs dry!

My previous XJS had a similar tank but the internal pump was built within a swirl pot, this was much better... saving money I guess on the XK8.

Locosts tend to have long tanks across the back so require help, look at racing tanks and they are twice the height and half the width.

Regards Mark

Chippy - 6/7/11 at 04:16 PM

If you don't use the swirl pot, then you need a central sump built into your fuel tank. I went initially with just a straight pick up from the bottom of the tank, hard cornering with say a quarter full tank, and it would cut out, eventually buggering the pump. I had a new tank made so that I could fit the range rover pump in it, this has its own built in swirl pot, has cured the problem. Not the cheapest way, but it definately works. HTH Ray

big_wasa - 6/7/11 at 04:17 PM

Having been in one with out I fitted one. It would stutter on fast corners.

RazMan - 6/7/11 at 04:25 PM

Fit a Landrover internal unit - pump & swirl pot and return all in one

Daddylonglegs - 6/7/11 at 05:29 PM

Sorry to hijack the thread, but I have a Pinto 2L running on a standard Weber and a Spitfire fuel tank. Am I right in thinking I do not need a swirlpot?

My understanding is that the carb can stand a short loss of fuel supply as it can run off the bowl contents for a wee while whereas an EFI system won't tolerate aloss of fuel even for a short time.

JB

big_wasa - 6/7/11 at 05:38 PM

^^ yep but your pump may not like running dry often ^^

Daddylonglegs - 6/7/11 at 06:35 PM

Ta

AndyW - 6/7/11 at 06:55 PM

ok, swirl pot it is then. But being a bit short of dosh after recent purchases, Ive found this on e-bay. Anyone care to suggest why it would not work??

Alloy fuel swirl pot 1L/2L road or race use ( custom ) on eBay (end time 19-Jul-11 16:17:33 BST)

Thanks

Andy

cliftyhanger - 6/7/11 at 07:36 PM

There is little that is clever with swirlpots, so those will work fine. Some are a bit prettier, but that isn't the name of the game.

[Edited on 6/7/11 by cliftyhanger]