Board logo

Swirlpot position
Hammy360 - 30/9/16 at 03:28 PM

Just thinking,
Why does everyone seem to put their swirlpot in the engine bay? I was thinking of doing the same but I thought cold fuel ignites better than hot fuel?
Or am I going mad and I should join in with the engine bay bling and chuck it on the firewall?

Cheers
Hammy

chris - 30/9/16 at 04:16 PM

I am about to try the in tank swirl pot
Didn't want one in the engine bay

Hammy360 - 30/9/16 at 04:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by chris
I am about to try the in tank swirl pot
Didn't want one in the engine bay

That's where mine was on my Zero

Chris_Xtreme - 30/9/16 at 05:17 PM

mines at the back of the car, I had started thinking about removing the battery and putting the swirl pot there, but thought it was a bad idea. pot of fuel near the hot stuff.. didn't sit well with me. works just fine with the hp pump at the back too.

Hammy360 - 30/9/16 at 06:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Chris_Xtreme
mines at the back of the car, I had started thinking about removing the battery and putting the swirl pot there, but thought it was a bad idea. pot of fuel near the hot stuff.. didn't sit well with me. works just fine with the hp pump at the back too.

Yeah cold fuel cold pump works for me I think and makes sense

big-vee-twin - 30/9/16 at 06:26 PM

Mines at the back built into a sump in the tank.

Smoking Frog - 30/9/16 at 06:28 PM

Mine's external to the tank at the rear. More room to position well above the HP pump, which was cavitating before fitting swirl pot.

snapper - 30/9/16 at 07:19 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hammy360
Just thinking,
Why does everyone seem to put their swirlpot in the engine bay? I was thinking of doing the same but I thought cold fuel ignites better than hot fuel?
Or am I going mad and I should join in with the engine bay bling and chuck it on the firewall?

Cheers
Hammy

Erm... no they don't. Most I have seen are near the tank in the back.
1. The lift pump has less to do.
2. More room, no heat, easier to fit and get at.
3. Both pumps are near each other, when one of mine stopped working it was a simple job to swap pipes around and run home on 1
4. I to don't like the idea of at least a litre of fuel in the engine bay ready to ignight and come back towards me, rather have it behind.

FuryRebuild - 30/9/16 at 07:29 PM

It's generally brake-fluid that's the problem for under-bonnet fires. Saying that, once it gets going having a litre of petrol looking to go off won't help.

Hammy360 - 13/10/16 at 08:31 PM

Erm... no they don't. Most I have seen are near the tank in the back.
1. The lift pump has less to do.

Paul,
Im saying that because on lots of blogs you read you see them mounted proud as punch "bling" in the engine bay......
I agree with all your points about the rear and mine is now there with both pumps

[Edited on 13/10/16 by Hammy360]