Board logo

Zetec temp sender
norfolkluego - 5/4/10 at 08:24 PM

Can't get the temp gauge working, it was working before the engine swop so pretty sure it's still OK.
I'm using a complete thermostat housing I got off ebay so not sure if the sender's not working or I'm wiring it wrong. I'm using the top sender, it has two pins, is one to the temp gauge, one to earth or is it something else? Any way of testing the sender?

big_wasa - 5/4/10 at 08:37 PM

Top sensor is for the ecu, bottom one is for the gausge.

austin man - 5/4/10 at 08:39 PM

Try using the other one the top one on the side. Air can become trapped in the top of the sendey as well We have put a bleet vale on one we have biult. I think the top sender was for the ecu not a the gauge I could be wrong

austin man - 5/4/10 at 08:39 PM

too slow again

norfolkluego - 5/4/10 at 08:39 PM

Probably explains it then

bob - 5/4/10 at 08:40 PM

I used the sender that comes out of the bottom at an angle 1/8NPT thread,one wire to gauge and a seperate wire on a ring connection for earth fitted before i threaded it into the plastic thermo house.

I thought the one in the top was the temp sender for the ECU.

bob - 5/4/10 at 08:41 PM

I was even slower

norfolkluego - 5/4/10 at 08:48 PM

Is the other sender the same arrangement, two pins? If so is it one to earth, one to gauge?

norfolkluego - 5/4/10 at 08:54 PM

Oops, I'm slow too

Danozeman - 5/4/10 at 08:58 PM

I couldnt get either to work with mine so iv fitted a smiths one in the bottom.

big_wasa - 5/4/10 at 09:42 PM

yeh I was going to add that it will be the wrong value anyway.

just use the one from the pinto.

It should be 1/8npt the same as the bottom of your housing.

just a note the housing is not earthed so if using a single terminal sensor you will need to earth it.

HOL - 6/4/10 at 07:27 AM

quote:

just a note the housing is not earthed so if using a single terminal sensor you will need to earth it.

Yup,
I had to solder an earth wire to the side of my sender on the tiger.