Board logo

Mil Spec Connectors
scootz - 5/2/11 at 12:10 AM

Anyone know how you get the inside part of a military-type connector out so you can re-wire it!?

This is a Souriau one that came with my Stack Dash (used). It was wired for whizzy track-stuff, but was missing leads for a few things I wanted.

There was a fair bit of glue inside the rubber sleeve that covered the wires, so it may just be a bit sticky still. That said, I don't want to start yanking at bits if I'm yanking the wrong part!

Any advice gratefully received!

MakeEverything - 5/2/11 at 12:42 AM

Yes, the back unscrews but its a left handed thread.

mistergrumpy - 5/2/11 at 03:35 AM

Ah a Plessey plug! We had a special tool that you placed on the wire and pushed inside the socket to release it from the plug. Just a long thin tube thing.

nz_climber - 5/2/11 at 04:29 AM

It could be crimped or soldered terminations

So would need to check part number, if you put it up here I can check at work for you.

If its a crimp terminal you need a proper removal insertion removal tool to remove the pin (from the back or the front depending on type)

If its a solder type: the rear on the plug was probably filled with rtv/silcon type stuff, as need to unscrew the back shell then remove all this stuff, then can re solder new wires to the pins

But need to confirm which type it is before going any further.

snapper - 5/2/11 at 07:04 AM

RS Componants or Maplins will have replacements if you trash that one

Mix - 5/2/11 at 08:39 AM

Hi

From the photo I'd say the inner does not come out. Conductors are terminated by crimping on the pins / sockets and then inserted into the plug using an insertion tool, (basically a thin walled split plastic tube), there is also a dedicated extraction tool both dependant on pin size.

See here for a selection http://www.astrotool.com/catalog/insertion_and_removal_tool_illustrations.html

Anyone in the aircraft industry should be able to get you one of the ones shown centre at the bottom, (they are disposable).

Regards Mick

omega0684 - 5/2/11 at 09:39 AM

replacement ones are about £10 +VAT if i remember rightly, you can also get them from TriggerWheels as well as RS!

scootz - 5/2/11 at 09:45 AM

Cheers guys... it's a Souriau 851 06RT 14 - 19 P 50

scootz - 5/2/11 at 12:15 PM

Deffo doesn't come apart, so the wires must be inserted in situ, or the pins must come out individually.

Can anyone recommend a suitable tool?

Ta!

flibble - 5/2/11 at 12:35 PM

Looks very much like the one I broke trying to get it apart, then I could see that, as makeeverything said, It was a left handed thread, kind of tight and awkward to unscrew.
I'll go see if the remainder is still kicking about in the garage for a pic.

Edit: sorry, cant find it

[Edited on 5-2-11 by flibble]

Mix - 5/2/11 at 01:27 PM

Hi

See here http://www.aviorace.it/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=49&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=67&lang=en

Regards Mick

scootz - 5/2/11 at 01:43 PM

Thanks Mick!

scootz - 5/2/11 at 06:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
Replacement ones are about £10 +VAT...

I wish!

Bloomin things are £50 a pop!

Note to self - DO NOT TRASH EXISTING ONE!

MakeEverything - 5/2/11 at 06:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
quote:
Originally posted by omega0684
Replacement ones are about £10 +VAT...

I wish!

Bloomin things are £50 a pop!

Note to self - DO NOT TRASH EXISTING ONE!

What about these? (lower down from Bulgaria)

[Edited on 5-2-11 by MakeEverything]

MakeEverything - 5/2/11 at 06:41 PM

Military Gold 19-Pin Twist Male Female Connector,F19P on eBay (end time 17-Feb-11 06:55:07 GMT) are the ones ive got on my car.

scootz - 5/2/11 at 06:50 PM

Unfortunately those won't mate to the female-connector on the back of my Stack unit.

MakeEverything - 5/2/11 at 07:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Unfortunately those won't mate to the female-connector on the back of my Stack unit.

Cant you modify it / change the socket?

scootz - 5/2/11 at 07:20 PM

I could, but I'm not too keen on taking the female-connector off the back of the Stack unit.

Easiest option is just to get the tools for pushing the pins in / out of the Souirau one.

nz_climber - 5/2/11 at 09:29 PM

You will need special crimp tools to do anything with the pin once removed..

But here is what I found

http://www.alfa-int.cz/img/konektory/851.pdf

That PDF has all the information you need

Crimp tool and insertion removal tool info is on page 24

Tool is the standard DMC crimp tool for these types of connectors PN M22520 / 1-01
Locator for crimp tool is M22520 / 1-02

Insertion Tool PN: 8500-29 B
Removal Tool PN: 8500-36 A

New Contacts PN: 8500-697 (contact size is 20AWG)

You will also find it very difficult/ impossible to get the contacts out with out removing that back shell section first, because the rubber section clamps the wires to prevent movement.

Best way to do this is to connect the plug to hold the front section steady, then use 2 sets of cannon plug pliers to hold 1 end steady, and the other to get the back shell undone.

you can just use similar pliers but with foam tape (so not to damage the plug)

Any questions just ask.

scootz - 5/2/11 at 10:32 PM

Thanks very much! Really appreciate the input!

Mix - 6/2/11 at 09:49 AM

Hi

Link to catalogue - good info

http://docs-europe.electrocomponents.com/webdocs/0dcc/0900766b80dcc0c9.pdf

Regards Mick

Russell - 6/2/11 at 10:04 AM

These guys are the biz:

http://www.fclane.com/

I used to buy smallish mixed quantities from them a few years ago. No account needed, just a credit card.

scootz - 6/2/11 at 11:27 AM

Thanks guys.

wurzel - 10/2/11 at 09:44 PM

Quickly looking at the size of the pins you have, I reckon you'll need the blue insert/extract tool to remove and fit them (although simply pushing them in by hand works).

This thin plastic tool slides down the cable, moving two locking pins out of the way and allowing the cable and crimped pin to be removed.

The pins are crimped on as suggested using the turret cimper tools you've been shown, however, I reckon those tools will be prohibitively expensive. The pins alone aren't cheap as they are gold plated and come in (apart from different diameters) different bucket lengths ie the part where the cable is crimped depending on the cable diameter. Again, difficult to get hold of.

I'm not sure how you'd overcome the issue but perhaps sending the loom off to a dealer and ask them to crimp some lengths of cable to each of the pins and just have them floating out the back of the plug (similar to car stereo plugs and just tucked away if not needed). That way, you can splice into the tails that you need. Not the neatest solution but perhaps the cheapest.

I can get hold of the insert/extract tools easily enough.

If you don't use the correct crimper though ie pliers the pin 'may' seat back into the plug but you'll never get it back out again.

To be honest, good plugs but only if you don't have to play with them!

Wow, that was my first post too.

wurzel - 10/2/11 at 09:58 PM

Turret Crimper Set

Insert Extract Tools

Found this lot on Ebay.

[Edited on 10/2/11 by wurzel]

scootz - 11/2/11 at 02:15 PM

Thanks V much Wurzel!

Appreciate the input!