Board logo

HID headlights
matty h - 4/7/11 at 11:19 AM

Are the kits legal I have seen kits where you put just lamps into your current headlamp and also kits with all new projector units.
Standard lamp type
Slim Ballast HID Xenon Conversion Kit H7R 8000K 35w | eBay UK

With new projectors

hid bi-xenon projector angel eye lights (8000k) h7 h1 | eBay UK

Thanks Matty

[Edited on 4/7/11 by matty h]

Daddylonglegs - 4/7/11 at 11:34 AM

Either I have major issues with eBay today (see 'eBay' thread) or the items have been removed?

blakep82 - 4/7/11 at 11:47 AM

urls don't have ... in the middle
HID lamps are supposed to be self levelling (so shouldn't just have new bulbs put in old non self levelling lamps)
and must have washer jets on the lenses.
without being able to see the listings yet, i'd bet they're not stictly legal

r1_pete - 4/7/11 at 11:52 AM

Blake is correct they do need to self level.

Wife's IS300 has them, she leaves the lights on auto, when you switch the ignition on and the lights come on, you can see the beam move down then up to the required height depending on the suspension load.

They are extremely bright so it is a good thing they 'shouldn't' be able to point skywards when the boot is loaded up.

tegwin - 4/7/11 at 12:54 PM

I have real issues with people who have fitted HID bulbs into standard headlight units... it just blinds everyone comming the other way..

I did actually have some fitted to my Leon Cupra R when I bought it... They were not that useful because although they were stupidly bright, they didnt have the right lens to project the light into the distance, instead they just made the road infront of the car brighter... not useful!

My polo GTI has proper projector style HID lamps fitted as standard with self levelling and washers... They are AMAZING... I dont ever want to drive a car without them.... Most of the time you can quite easily drive without the high beams on because the light pattern from the HIDs is pretty damn good...

matty h - 4/7/11 at 01:58 PM

Links sorted wanting to get better light on my Libra other suggestions welcome.

britishtrident - 4/7/11 at 02:09 PM

Also HID has to be fitted as full E marked lamp assemble --- not just a bulb conversion.

Only loop hole in the regs is the lamps don't have to self level if self-leveling suspension; Boge Nivomat would be acceptable.

cliftyhanger - 4/7/11 at 05:07 PM

And they are MoT'able from next year, think that was posted on here a while ago. So they will fail.

RazMan - 4/7/11 at 06:29 PM

HIDs conversions are mostly suited to projector style headlights (which cannot dazzle due to their design) but some reflector units are pretty good (BMW Mini for example) as they have a well designed reflector and will accept a conversion without a problem, but watch out for the cheap Chinese ones - it's all about the focal point and light source registration so if they don't line up properly they will dazzle. Flippin' bright though

matty h - 4/7/11 at 08:30 PM

Would these be a better idea.
http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=111
Matty

Hellfire - 4/7/11 at 08:58 PM

I have them fitted as a conversion to my 'bike... TBH I dont mind if they do dazzle - it might stop the junction creepers pulling out on me!

As said they are amazing - and the pattern on my bike is "pretty much" the same - as long as the light source is roughly in the same position as the old Inca one's filament, it wont make that much difference. Though the difference will be present as the bulbs work like a light source "tube" projecting outwards... so there will be a little difference in pattern...

Steve

mad4x4 - 4/7/11 at 09:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
I have them fitted as a conversion to my 'bike... TBH I dont mind if they do dazzle

Steve

Well expect to get Driven at on FULL BEAM......