Board logo

Car battery in a bec
MK chippy - 21/10/12 at 07:37 PM

Hi guys,

This might be a stupid question but just trying to find out if putting a car battery onto a yamaha R1 engine and loom would cause any problems? Have searched it on here but theres a lot of mixed views so thought i'd ask.

Don't want to fry the loom, fuses etc

Any help would be great!

Dave

JoelP - 21/10/12 at 07:50 PM

my zx9 worked fine with a car battery, and i cant see any problem myself. They do say that you shouldnt jump start a bike engine off a running car engine though, which is of course a seperate issue.

daniel mason - 21/10/12 at 07:50 PM

youll be fine mate. a lot of the batteries will do both bec and cec.

rb968 - 21/10/12 at 07:51 PM

I ran my zx9 engined Indy off a car battery. Same Banner one as my Audi A4 and it coped just fine. Alternator charged it no problem. I had an electric reverse hence the bigger battery.

Rich

ian locostzx9rc2 - 21/10/12 at 07:57 PM

Had a car battery on my zx9 striker many years ago had the car for three and a half years with no issues ...

Proby - 21/10/12 at 08:06 PM

Will be just fine, the electrical circuit will only draw as much juice (current) as needed. The main reason people use bike batteries is for the weight advantage.

jossey - 21/10/12 at 08:18 PM

Why would you want a car battery...... They weigh a load more than a bike battery and you shouldn't need the extra amp hours etc.....

sdh2903 - 21/10/12 at 08:32 PM

I could only see why you would want a car battery is for electric reverse??

They are heavier, bigger and in some cases more expensive. My bog standard yuasa r1 battery has been perfectly adequate.

Steve

parkiboy - 21/10/12 at 09:05 PM

I use a car battery for my bec purely because of the electric reverse, I figured a bike battery would struggle with it.

40inches - 22/10/12 at 07:55 AM

quote:
Originally posted by parkiboy
I use a car battery for my bec purely because of the electric reverse, I figured a bike battery would struggle with it.

Very true! The engine will stall because the voltage the ECU will see is too low.