Board logo

battery Isolation Kit any good?
baldthreads - 21/10/15 at 06:20 PM

I was looking for a Cartek GT Isolation Kit but have been told they give a lot of trouble anyone have or use similar?

Fatgadget - 22/10/15 at 08:04 AM

Whats wrong with a good old fashioned not to mention cheap as chips Autolec master switch?

steve m - 22/10/15 at 01:57 PM

This is what 99% of use use on kit cars etc,

UNIVERSAL CAR BOAT VAN BUS TRUCK BATTERY ISOLATOR DISCONNECT CUT OFF KILL SWITCH

theduck - 22/10/15 at 02:27 PM

At the money they sell for id stick with a traditional key!

baldthreads - 23/10/15 at 07:51 PM

I know what you mean doesn't make much sense pay more and get trouble

snowy2 - 24/10/15 at 06:53 AM

unless your building a dedicated track car i dont see the point in fitting an isolation switch..

britishtrident - 24/10/15 at 09:31 AM

Range hyperstores sell them very cheaply
Strange though seems Range are a handy place to buy bubble packed car electrical odds and ends.

Mr C - 24/10/15 at 09:48 AM

quote:
Originally posted by steve m
This is what 99% of use use on kit cars etc,

UNIVERSAL CAR BOAT VAN BUS TRUCK BATTERY ISOLATOR DISCONNECT CUT OFF KILL SWITCH

Not sure why it's called a kill switch, it doesn't kill the alternator so the engine would continue running if used in an emergency.

Fatgadget - 24/10/15 at 11:14 AM

The expensive solid state ones apparently are spark proof.I'm not sure though I would trust a semiconductor to isolate huge amounts of current other than instantaneously.

Easy to implement engine kill facility on cheap isolating switches such as the Autolec with a bleed resistor grounding alternator output.

907 - 24/10/15 at 11:20 AM

I bought the one with brass connections & pin as opposed to "looks like copper but is actually steel."

I payed a little more but then I'm like that.

Why?

So that when I park those mothers that allow their little darlings to play with the switches don't flatten the battery.

Paul G