Board logo

LED plus normal bulb indicators
tims31 - 23/9/16 at 12:31 PM

Hi,

I have rewired my hazard switch from the Sierra stalks to a durite button type as per the thread listed below.

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=203699

I am now looking at having LED indicators on the rear and normal bulbs for the side repeaters and fronts and want to fit a Electronic flasher relay to replace the standard Ford relay.

The questions I have is, the Flasher relay states that the max power for 12V Electronic & LED Flasher Unit - 3 Pin - Max. 30W will this be ok for the power drawn if the hazards are in use ie 4 bulbs plus 2 LEDS

Also, will this just replace the Ford relay or will I need to switch the terminals. Looking at the wiring diagram for these they state P goes to a warning lamp and does not require earthing but as you can see that is different to how mine is wired (As per previous thread)

I don't want to use load resistors.

Thanks guys

[Edited on 23/9/16 by tims31]

adithorp - 23/9/16 at 01:20 PM

Usually, indicator bulbs are 21w and side repeaters 5w... so thats 52w+LEDs with the hazards on.

Chris_Xtreme - 23/9/16 at 01:26 PM

I can't check right now, but I have a led flasher, but have the fronts as normal bulbs and the sides as normal.. IIRC the previous owner who did it has reqwired the relay as the pins are different.

I reckon, as my relay hasn't burnt out, that you must be able to get higher wattage led flasher relays.

i'm not recommending this one but a quick search showed this one at .2 - 20amps:

link to random flasher relay

gremlin1234 - 23/9/16 at 02:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Usually, indicator bulbs are 21w and side repeaters 5w... so thats 52w+LEDs with the hazards on.
which makes the 30w unit unsuitable
this should be suitable thou:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/625/12-volt-electronic-3-pin-flasher-relay
(and since its electronic, shouldn't have an issue with the flash rate changing due to a different load.)

tims31 - 23/9/16 at 03:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by gremlin1234
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
which makes the 30w unit unsuitable
this should be suitable thou:
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/product.php/625/12-volt-electronic-3-pin-flasher-relay
(and since its electronic, shouldn't have an issue with the flash rate changing due to a different load.)

Ahh that looks like just the job, looks like the pin wiring is correct too so I shouldnt have to swap those around either.

Thanks gremlin

blue2cv - 24/9/16 at 07:15 AM

Why not put led bulbs in the fronts, no more problem

tims31 - 24/9/16 at 07:18 AM

Can you just get replacement bulbs that fit the housings then?

Chris_Xtreme - 24/9/16 at 07:20 AM

I popped led replacements on the front of mine, ie just swapped the bulb. They were terrible, went back to filament.

Led front indicators bought as a unit I am sure will be fine, as are my rear led ones are.

BenB - 24/9/16 at 09:41 AM

There are some good alternatives out there amongst the rubbish. For indicators (front and rear) I've got Ebay 272353848435 -they're great. Can dig out the info on the side/brake lights if needed. I did try the very expensive multi-led "christmas tree" type but hated how they looked when on- the ones I've gone for look like normal filament bulbs, just use a lot less amps.

Chris_Xtreme - 24/9/16 at 09:57 AM

Those look completely different to the type I have tried!

The ones I used had lots of little smds on them.

Looks like the tech has improved.

tims31 - 24/9/16 at 10:07 AM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
There are some good alternatives out there amongst the rubbish. For indicators (front and rear) I've got Ebay 272353848435 -they're great. Can dig out the info on the side/brake lights if needed. I did try the very expensive multi-led "christmas tree" type but hated how they looked when on- the ones I've gone for look like normal filament bulbs, just use a lot less amps.

This could work too. I'm hoping the relay that gremlin posted will do the job but at least there seems to be alternatives now.

BenB - 24/9/16 at 08:23 PM

371291284918 is what I used on the rear light / brake lights. Really bright and the red bulb in a red cover gives a pretty OEM light appearance. With a white LED bulb in a red cover you end up with pink brake lights...