Board logo

mains to DC12v 20a
pigeondave - 19/3/20 at 01:41 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking for a mains to 12v 20a power supply.
Basically I'd like a cigarette lighter socket in the garage/workshop.

Electrics always worry me, and a lot of the stuff online looks Chinese and of questionable quality.

Also not sure if i need 20A, i picked that as most sockets show 20A capability.

Doe's anyone have a link for something suitable?

Grimsdale - 19/3/20 at 02:02 PM

an old computer psu should be able to supply that, you just need to connect the two wires in the main multiplug to switch it on.

SJ - 19/3/20 at 02:51 PM

Old 12v car battery and a charger?

loggyboy - 19/3/20 at 02:54 PM

20a seems lots - whats it for?

pigeondave - 19/3/20 at 03:03 PM

quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
20a seems lots - whats it for?

I dunno, I just thought if they're rated for 20A why not have a 20A capability.

If going for less is easier and cheaper, i'll try that.

I like the computer PSU idea.
Really looking for something I can bundle up and put away, so was looking for a cheap (but well made) transformer block type thing.

Not favouring the battery thing as i'd like it easily portable.

Keep the ideas coming

David Jenkins - 19/3/20 at 03:18 PM

These things work very well - I have several that supply power to my 3D printers.

ebay

The one very real hazard with these things is the exposed terminal strip at the back - both mains and output. Some form of rear enclosure is essential to keep everything safe - if you have access to a 3D printer then there's loads of designs available for a rear cover, but if metalworking's your thing then a folded metal rear cover would be fine. You do have to be sure that your wiring and earthing is safe and secure. I've used both methods...

[Edited on 19/3/20 by David Jenkins]

cliftyhanger - 19/3/20 at 03:26 PM

20A is a lot.
Most new cars have a 10A or less supply as not used as fag lighters, but to power chargers and suchlike.
Have a think about what you plan to plug in, otherwise you will be over complicating things. I assume you are not planning on using an actual fag lighter?

HowardB - 19/3/20 at 03:31 PM

range up to 60A linky

not cheap but then they can be voltage controlled, current limited etc,

coyoteboy - 19/3/20 at 05:31 PM

I've always had a chopped up ATX power supply sat on my bench which supplies every voltage range I need. Cut the cables back, fit banana sockets, you have a nice reliable, stable PSU. You could even build it into the workbench and have it remoted underneath so only the sockets were visible.

jps - 20/3/20 at 09:43 AM

I bought one of these recently: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-Air-Compressor-Tyre-Inflator-and-mains-power-supply-converter/152694505216

The pump died fairly quickly (after about 5 uses) but the power supply is powering a more susbstantial tyre inflator, which apparently has a peak amperage of more than the 10A this power supply is apparently good for.

I am tempted to buy one of those PSUs David has linked to though.