Board logo

bike fuel pump - what size fuse?
harmchar - 2/1/22 at 08:12 PM

Evening all, not been asking questions for a while so might start New Year with a new topic.
I'm in the process of fitting zzr1100 carbs to the pinto. Ordered a universal bike fuel pump from eBay and it's arrived with no details of how much load it will draw. Which means I have no idea of wire gauge or fuse to install. What gauge cable have you guys fitted?
Don't think pump will draw much more than 20amps as the wife tales on the pump are no more than 2mmsq.
Thanks in advance.

ReMan - 3/1/22 at 02:44 AM

I'd guess 5A draw, I can't find a spec for them /. So wire as 10/20 then fuse 5/10 IMHO

motorcycle_mayhem - 3/1/22 at 09:59 AM

Errrr... 20A would be good for a sizeable fuel injection pump, my Bosch 044 ran that fuse (methanol GSXR turbo), probably drawing ca. 15A or so.

You should have a low pressure pump on the carbs, probably drawing around 2A or so, unless it's a biggie. 5A fuse probably, perhaps a 10A fuse (at the very, very most (wire protection).

harmchar - 3/1/22 at 10:04 AM

It is a low pressure pump for bike carbs. I found a supplier of a very similar pump late last night and he states it's 1.5 amps. So my 10 amp cable and 3 amp fuse should be good. Cheers.

gremlin1234 - 4/1/22 at 06:54 PM

quote:
Originally posted by harmchar
It is a low pressure pump for bike carbs. I found a supplier of a very similar pump late last night and he states it's 1.5 amps. So my 10 amp cable and 3 amp fuse should be good. Cheers.

I think I would use a larger fuse, probably 6A, or 7.5A. you have a good enough cable, and this circuit is critical,
[pump stops, you stop, even in the outside lane of a motorway]
fuse protects the wiring not the component.
when electric fuel pumps first came in they were not fused...