Board logo

Wiring help, Micro Dynamics electronic module IGN07
shindha - 22/6/23 at 01:14 PM

Hi, I have the Micro Dynamics electronic module from the 80's I believe, the engine is a Ford Crossflow 1.6. I must admit when it comes to electrics, I'm useless, hence this post I want to know where to connect the ignition wire from the ignition switch to and to which terminal do I put the the blue wire from the cold start to on the solenoid. The solenoid is a cold start solenoid.
All this was running on the engine prior to me buying it in 2019, it hasn't been installed in the car and I have since forgot where what connects nor got any idea.
I would like to keep everything that I have and try and make it work - unless there is anything out there more modern and less complex (which I doubt).
Thank you for looking.

Description
Description

gremlin1234 - 22/6/23 at 02:24 PM

after a quick bit of searching, I found
lotuselan
" https://lotuselan.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=16579&start= "

the second image suggests the cold start/ ballast resistor are not required, and should not be installed.

Description
Description

[Edited on 22-6-2023 by gremlin1234]

shindha - 23/6/23 at 12:12 PM

Hi, Thanks for this I have this document, I also have this Document
this says that a ballast and cold start should be used if the engine is tuned I know the engine has a mild tune and the other thing is that the engine was working with this setup.

gremlin1234 - 23/6/23 at 01:53 PM

it comes down to what coil you are using.
ballast systems use a 6v coil, and 'boost' it to 12v supply during start-up
non ballast systems us a 12v coil at all times.

I suspect the 'cold start adaptor' is just a diode.

but it using a good battery, on a reasonably warm day, it should not matter either way.