Board logo

Towbar electrics
RazMan - 15/8/06 at 08:21 PM

Just a quicky - Is there a towbar electrics splicing kit available or do I just insert some connectors in the tin top's loom? (BMW 3 Series btw)

nitram38 - 15/8/06 at 08:25 PM

Most kits come with scotch locks.
They are not my favourite connectors, but you can remove them if you need to without altering the car's loom.

RazMan - 15/8/06 at 08:33 PM

Scotch Locks should be banned - nasty horrible things I think I will cut in some proper connectors then.

k33ts - 15/8/06 at 08:47 PM

there is a splicing kit that comes with a bypass relay which youll need to fit, but youll also need a tool to use it.

sounds posh but it does exactly the same as a scotchlock but more compact.

[Edited on 15/8/06 by k33ts]

RazMan - 15/8/06 at 08:57 PM

Hi k33ts - is the bypass relay really needed? I thought I could just connect everything in parallel and put up with a slower flash rate on the indicators.

k33ts - 15/8/06 at 09:05 PM

if its an e36 you could get away with bypassing the side and tail although you wont be able to use a normal relay as it will permanently chatter.

if its a e46 you need to do all lights

i bypass all on both for piece of mind

907 - 15/8/06 at 09:07 PM

Hi

Before you cut into the loom check that you haven't got connections already there.

All the V Dub's I've owned have had spade connections in the rear light clusters.

The last loom I had to Scotch lock was a Sierra, and that's going back a few years.

Paul G

RazMan - 15/8/06 at 10:13 PM

Already had a poke around and there are no convenient connectors to tap into so I guess I'll have to get my cutters out

BTW it is an E36 so I will try without the bypass first and see what happens.

Danozeman - 16/8/06 at 06:13 AM

Its better to use the trailer flasher relay. Mine has an audible warning on which is handy so i know the trailer lights are working.(well at least the indicators.)

pewe - 16/8/06 at 07:45 AM

Raz, try www.towsure.com they supply fitting kits for most cars whether pre-wired for towbar electrics or not. Their tech dept is helpful. Cheers, Pewe.

Marcus - 16/8/06 at 07:58 AM

The bypass is only really needed if your car has bulb monitoring (probably has). Otherwise you'll get a warning light every time you plug the trailer board in.

RazMan - 16/8/06 at 08:13 AM

quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Raz, try www.towsure.com they supply fitting kits for most cars whether pre-wired for towbar electrics or not. Their tech dept is helpful. Cheers, Pewe.

Useful link, but at £130 for their fitting kit I think I will stick to my (cheap) method.

BKLOCO - 16/8/06 at 04:41 PM

quote:
Originally posted by RazMan
quote:
Originally posted by pewe

Useful link, but at £130 for their fitting kit I think I will stick to my (cheap) method.

Mike....
THIS is the bypass kit and THIS the non bypass. Where did you get £130 from?

EDIT
OK. I found the dedicated wiring kits
Not worth it for that old banger of yours

Anyway I thought you were fitting your new gofaster ducts not p**sing about with tow bars.

[Edited on 16-8-06 by BKLOCO]

RazMan - 16/8/06 at 05:38 PM

As a matter of fact I have already fitted one side and there will be a grand opening tomorrow if all goes well

Get on with your under floor heating anyway!