Board logo

Insurance for 7.5ton used privately
ArthurR - 29/4/21 at 05:42 PM

Thinking of using a 7.5ton lorry with a box to transport the kit car. Anyone else doing this, if so, which insurance company are you using?

Deckman001 - 29/4/21 at 08:18 PM

Would a transit based box not be better and easier to drive and park? something like a transporter transit but with sides and a roof ? or do you need extra space for tools and spares and rest places?

I use A plan insurance for the kitcar, sorry nothing about the truck or transit insurance though.

[Edited on 29/4/21 by Deckman001]

Mash - 29/4/21 at 08:45 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Deckman001
Would a transit based box not be better and easier to drive and park? something like a transporter transit but with sides and a roof ? or do you need extra space for tools and spares and rest places?

I use A plan insurance for the kitcar, sorry nothing about the truck or transit insurance though.

[Edited on 29/4/21 by Deckman001]

I use A plan for my Transit and my car and my MK Indy.

Not sure about the 7.5 tonner though, think you might need an operator's licence to run it as it's over the 4 tonne limit? You wouldn't need that wth a Transit as long as it was below the 4 tonne mark. If you do, that opens up a hole different can of worms with drivers hours and all sorts.........

That's dredging from my memory from 30 ish years ago when i used to run a small haulage business though, so thing's may have changed. Can't see them having slacked off on it though, everything else has got worse.

OliverJamesThomas - 29/4/21 at 09:25 PM

Here you go:

www.anthonydevans.co.uk

I used them for mine and they were good to deal with. You will also want breakdown and tyre cover:

www.prprescue.com

Not as expensive as you might think and you’ll be glad if things go wrong.

[Edited on 29/4/21 by OliverJamesThomas]

ArthurR - 29/4/21 at 10:19 PM

Thanks Oliver, I’ll give them a call.

I’ll be running it privately so operators licence won’t apply.

DAN@ADRIAN FLUX - 30/4/21 at 07:54 PM

Hi.
Please feel free to give us a try for insurance if you wish.
Regards,
Dan.

ArthurR - 2/5/21 at 11:42 AM

Have done Dan, a little more than I was expecting though.