Board logo

traffic wardens......idiots
skinned knuckles - 7/1/10 at 11:00 AM

have jst been watching a traffic warden at stick tickets on seven cars parked just down the road from my office. thing is, you cant see the yellow lines because of the snow, so i went out with my camera and took a photo of the cars with the tickets on and how they were parked, went back to the office and printed them off along with the appeals process and stuck them under the wipers of each of the cars.
the same warden has come along now and taken all of my printouts off and binned them! shame for him i was watching and got him on video doing it

as far as i was aware, the warden can put a ticket on your car but i doubt he has the right to take anything off?

before i send this video to the council and the police, does anyone know the law on this?

[Edited on 7/1/10 by skinned knuckles]

andyharding - 7/1/10 at 11:02 AM

I'd go and put another copy out and if he comes back go and give him a bill for your printing costs for stealing the first lot. You are certainly breaking no law putting an informational leaflet on peoples car advising about parking law. They Council won't stand a chance enforcing any of those tickets unless there is old supplementary signage still in place. I'd spend the rest of my day waiting for the owners to come back and personally hand them the info you printed. Warden will no doubt go nuts and you can call the bill on them for breaching the peace

[Edited on 7/1/10 by andyharding]

Agriv8 - 7/1/10 at 11:11 AM

Have you the name / warden number - if so I would be on the blower to parking services if you get no joyfrom then a call to the 'local newspaper' that should make some councilors squirm.

regards

Agriv8

skinned knuckles - 7/1/10 at 11:16 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Agriv8
Have you the name / warden number - if so I would be on the blower to parking services if you get no joyfrom then a call to the 'local newspaper' that should make some councilors squirm.

regards

Agriv8

i didn't get the number or name of the guy, but it will be on the tickets he left. I'm waiting for one of the drivers to come back to his car so i can get the details and start the ball rolling.

Mr Whippy - 7/1/10 at 11:17 AM

write into the local paper, ours loves front page storys like that

I'm not sure I'm even parked on the road at work as its all deep snow

[Edited on 7/1/10 by Mr Whippy]

skinned knuckles - 7/1/10 at 11:25 AM

Have just spoken to one of the drivers who, it turns out is a solicitor

he has asked for copy of the photos and vid and has already called the police. he recons it is an offense to remove any item from someones car and it is covered by the same law that makes it an offense to remove someone elses parking ticket.

i love the irony of being hung by your own laws

Mr Whippy - 7/1/10 at 11:30 AM

superb

blue2cv - 7/1/10 at 11:33 AM

hope the guy gives you a follow up, so we can all relish the fatherless people wriggling

r1_pete - 7/1/10 at 11:33 AM

Keep us posted on further develpoments.

Doing their job is one thing, but that guys just trying to be clever.

stevec - 7/1/10 at 11:34 AM

Lovely stuff, well done. Is the vid on Utube yet?
Steve

balidey - 7/1/10 at 11:35 AM

I'm in two minds to say either....

'well done'

or

'double yellas are there for a reason, and being covered by snow could perhaps make it an even less sensible place to park.'

But as it involves getting one over a Traffic Warden, then it must be the former.

Mr Whippy - 7/1/10 at 11:39 AM

if you put the vid on you tube, then email the link to their main office then his boss may see it before the warden gets back to the office

[Edited on 7/1/10 by Mr Whippy]

turbodisplay - 7/1/10 at 11:48 AM

Tell the bbc or other news outlets, they like stories like this. + you may make a few quid from the story.
Darren

iank - 7/1/10 at 11:59 AM

Taking off the leaflets, "could" be interpreted as attempting to pervert the course of justice - a serious offence.

The police/CPS wouldn't have the slightest interest in taking it on, but it could be an interesting gambit if you get in a conversation with the warden.

dogwood - 7/1/10 at 12:29 PM

YEA !!!! Love it...
Pleeeese Youtube it.

craig1410 - 7/1/10 at 12:48 PM

Well done that man!!

It's the removal of your photo's and the appeals process which really irks me as this is so blatantly illegal...

Watching with interest!
:-)

RichardK - 7/1/10 at 12:50 PM

Brilliant, need to see the vid!!

Submit to the local news, the mains will pick off them but its nice for a local news paper to get the breaker.

Cheers

Rich

ps Nice work...

mattg8000 - 7/1/10 at 12:52 PM

Excellent work - please youtube the vid!!

wilkingj - 7/1/10 at 12:54 PM

Hmmm look at it from the other side.

Could YOU be done for perverting the course of justice by putting the photo's and forms on the windscreen.

I would tread carefully, incase it blows up in your face.
ie same as puttnig a sign up saying Speed trap ahead, or flashing oncoming speeders.
People have been done for this in the past.

Take care, and think long and hard before taking any rash actions like posting on U-Tube. The Police have prosecuted speeders from their U-Tube postings, so its not inconcieveable it could happen to you.

Agreed.... Its unlikely, but its a case of measure ten times and cut once, which is a a well tried and trusted Locostbuilders saying.

EDIT:
I like your idea, but consider all angles before taking any action

[Edited on 7/1/2010 by wilkingj]

l0rd - 7/1/10 at 01:02 PM

can't you at least post the vid here?

iank - 7/1/10 at 01:13 PM

quote:
Originally posted by wilkingj
Hmmm look at it from the other side.

Could YOU be done for perverting the course of justice by putting the photo's and forms on the windscreen.

How would that be? (genuinely interested) The idea that telling someone they had rights could be illegal seems absurd on the face of it.

quote:

I would tread carefully, incase it blows up in your face.
ie same as puttnig a sign up saying Speed trap ahead, or flashing oncoming speeders.
People have been done for this in the past.

I'm aware of those cases, but I don't think the theory applies in this case as the 'crime' is already done. If it were the case that giving people advice was in any way illegal then QC's, solicitors and lawyers would all be in prison.
quote:

Take care, and think long and hard before taking any rash actions like posting on U-Tube. The Police have prosecuted speeders from their U-Tube postings, so its not inconcieveable it could happen to you.

Agreed.... Its unlikely, but its a case of measure ten times and cut once, which is a a well tried and trusted Locostbuilders saying.

EDIT:
I like your idea, but consider all angles before taking any action

[Edited on 7/1/2010 by wilkingj]

I agree with the idea of caution and consideration.

coozer - 7/1/10 at 01:19 PM

How about clubbing the warden to death with a big stick?

David Jenkins - 7/1/10 at 01:26 PM

quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Illegal - but probably very, very satisfying...

balidey - 7/1/10 at 01:28 PM

quote:
Originally posted by David Jenkins
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

Illegal - but probably very, very satisfying...

Surprisingly, not illegal. I can find no law that specifically says its illegal to club a traffic warden to death. So proceed

skinned knuckles - 7/1/10 at 01:34 PM

have had a think and will post the video in a couple of weeks but under a different name if my new solicitor friend thinks its safe to do so. will post a linky

in the mean time you will have to content yourselves with the knowledge that some jumped up pillock is going to dragged over the coals for some overzelous use of his minimal powers.

i personally am grinning from ear to ear

in adition, a lot of the other drivers have come out and have seen the little yellow plastic stickeys and have been taking photos of thier cars and the road and swearing lots. the warden seems to be keeping a low profile too think he would be lynched if he walked up here again

[Edited on 7/1/10 by skinned knuckles]

adithorp - 7/1/10 at 01:44 PM

Removing your notes is out of order as is booking them in the first place given the conditions... unless they are causing an obstruction; in which case they should be booked.

The Aldi store next door to my workshop had a digger in this morning clearing the car park. As he left he offered to clear my yard but when he took a look at it said it probably wouldn't help much, given that it was pretty well packed down. So I said no problem, but is there any chance of clearing the snow from the side of the road. It was down to one lane because of the build up. He cleared the lot. Within 1 hour 3 cars had parked on it. None of them within 4 feet of the curb so back to one lane. An hour later an Ambulance arrived (blue lights on) at the doctors surgury opposite and couldn't get in the car park because of them (its on a slope and he needed to get a square run at it).

Should those cars be booked?
(it is a double yellow under the snow coating)

Personally I think they should be shoved out of the way with a snow plough. It's not like there isn't any other parking. There's the Aldi (1+1/2hour free) a council car park (also cleared) next to that and the doctor surgery car park.

adrian

donny - 7/1/10 at 01:49 PM

Very amusing and I too am keen to hear the outcome.
They're not all the same...
a few years ago my audi packed in on a busy street in Edinburgh on double red lines in the morning (I think red means they get the bomb disposal squad in). I feared the worst when a police traffic warden approached. However imagine my surprise when he not only helped push the car down a side street - which has ticket parking - then phoned in to make sure I wasn't bothered for a few hours while I got the AA out. I didn't need to buy a parking ticket either. A good guy all round. It was the rotor arm that had gone phut.

Cheers,
Donny.

eznfrank - 7/1/10 at 02:09 PM

Whilst I'm no solicitor, I do have a reasonable understanding of law (I'm an Investigator in my day job) and IMO you have done nothing wrong what-so-ever and have nothing to fear.

You made the video in a public place which is fine as long as it was not on behalf of a public body such as the police, council etc.

You offered advice to those concerned and your advice did not constitute a perverison of the course of justice as you gave them actual facts (as opposed to telling them to lie for example).

Just for the record I've not got my books out or done any research but IMO you've done nothing wrong.

Danozeman - 7/1/10 at 04:19 PM

Let the bloke rot. I wanna see the video!!!! They think they have far more power than they have!

The road up to my work is on a hill in a new housing estate. With the snow and ice the residents have been parked at the bottom which are double yellows leaving hardly any space to get trucks and big vans through to get into our yard. Now them knowing what goes up and down that road i wouldnt want to park there just incase a truck slid and hit my car. We reported it to the plod who said theyd pass in on to the traffic wardens. but as f yet nothings been done but a few cars HAVE been hit and they still park there!!!

gottabedone - 7/1/10 at 06:41 PM

If you post the video on here we promise not to tell anyone

NigeEss - 7/1/10 at 07:45 PM

Nice one Skinned,

I hope it was the winker who gave me a ticket in Birkenhead a few months ago.
I was woking in a dentists so parked the van completely off the road on a very wide
pavement (15ft wide) so not causing an obstruction and put a note in the window
explaining why/where I was etc. Got a ticket for parking on double yellows (which I
actually wasn't).
Nearest "proper" place to park was 15yds away round the corner and renowned for
theft. Park a van full of tools there ? No firkiling way.

Appeal was rejected too.

skinned knuckles - 8/1/10 at 10:55 AM

the solicitor has asked that i don't post the vid anywhere yet as he wants the warden to deny removing my printouts during the appeals. once he has denied it, the video will be produced as evidence and the warden will be ripped to shreds by the authorities (or at least thats the plan)

once its all done and dusted i will stick the vid ond the photos on Utube for all to see

as a side not, the cars were not causing an obstruction or a hazard of any kind and at least 3 of the drivers didn't know the area or that there were yellows there at all, and yes i manages to speak to all of them before they left and told them what was happening and how to appeal the notices

[Edited on 8/1/10 by skinned knuckles]

PaulBuz - 8/1/10 at 02:51 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Danozeman
Let the bloke rot. I wanna see the video!!!! They think they have far more power than they have!

In the wardens defense, you must remember that the spotty, little nerdy, pleb, was most probably bullied mercilessly at school.

He silently vowed that one day he would have his revenge on the society that so cruelly taunted him.

Each morning now, the cretin dons his "uniform of power" & skulks around in side streets, seeking to reek his revenge!

Ninehigh - 9/1/10 at 10:40 PM

Broken down is different to parked as you didn't stop there of your own accord. I've argued with traffic wardens that I'm not parked on the basis that my handbrake isn't on and the engine's running. I usually then roll a bit to prove the point. Never works though even when I told them to ring the council...

I don't see how you could get into trouble for saying "I think you've been a bit hard done by here mate, here's why and how you appeal." It's not like you're showing them how to get off scot free for the sake of it.