Board logo

How different is a Touring car from it's road car equivelent.
morcus - 27/7/11 at 11:10 PM

As per title, how do you get from a factory car to a BTCC car?

sorens2 - 27/7/11 at 11:17 PM

Tom K said that the Audi A4 has 2 parts that is the same.
Front and rear badge.

Soren S2

norfolkluego - 28/7/11 at 12:25 AM

quote:
Originally posted by morcus
As per title, how do you get from a factory car to a BTCC car?

Spend £250,000

[Edited on 28/7/11 by norfolkluego]

Ninehigh - 28/7/11 at 01:01 AM

For starters iirc the DTW Astra (as per Gran Turismo 4+5) has a V8 in it.

The biggest engine in the road version was a 2.2.

I suppose after that a roll cage, fire supression, massive weight reduction surgery and drivetrain etc setup...

Ben_Copeland - 28/7/11 at 06:10 AM

They don't start with a road car. It's completely different. Only things the same is the shape of it (loosely based) and the badges.

As above...

NigeEss - 28/7/11 at 07:01 AM

Yup, the badges and sillouette.

BenB - 28/7/11 at 08:15 AM

Yup, the outline and that's about it.

Furyous - 28/7/11 at 08:17 AM

Is BTCC like NASCAR where the headlights are just stickers on the body work? Although, NASCAR cars don't even look remotely like the production versions.

loggyboy - 28/7/11 at 08:18 AM

Even the silloutte is often different. Ive heard/read stories of people buying ex touring cars, trying to replace the windscreen and finding the cars a few inches shorter than standard!

MikeFellows - 28/7/11 at 08:21 AM

im not sure its as extreme as people are making out

the chassis must be pretty much identical as its required for homolgomation

engines again will be 'based' around their road going versions - but everything will be uprated.

GM has an online shop that sells all the GM parts to take a 2.2 ecotec up to 800bhp for drag racing - im sure they sell the btcc bits too (they have to for homolgomation i believe)

might be wrong but it certainly used to be like this

scootz - 28/7/11 at 08:22 AM

You sometimes see them popping up on racecarsdirect and similar websites. In fact, there was a Nissan Primera BTC listed for sale only a few weeks ago.

MikeFellows - 28/7/11 at 08:23 AM

I foudn the shop

clicky

nick205 - 28/7/11 at 08:23 AM

Touring cars aren't space framed are they?

I'd guess they at least start with a production body shell, but hack it about a hell of a lot to get to the finished car.

hughpinder - 28/7/11 at 08:35 AM

My next door neighbour has a BTCC subaru from afew years back, that was actually winning the lombard rally (until it broke...).

All the interior is stripped, and has different seat/steering wheel, pedals, plumbed in fire extinguisher and harnesses rather than seat belts.
The car is heavier than a standard tin top version due to all the extra metal weled in (so he says anyway).
The whole body was stripped, and every seam welded along its full length with extra re-inforcing added 'where needed', then the roll cage built in.
His dash is a nasty looking digitaljob, but if you unclip it, the standard instrument panel is still there behind it all!
The fuel tank in the boot/adjustable shocks/brakes are pretty non standard too!
Fuel consumption when flat out on the special racing fuel at 1.5mpg is a bit non standard as well!

Regards
Hugh

myke pocock - 28/7/11 at 08:44 AM

1.5mpg!!!!??? The fuel guage must be faster than the car.

wylliezx9r - 28/7/11 at 09:10 AM

Not a fecking lot LOL

Irony - 28/7/11 at 09:15 AM

Wasn't there a post a while back that mentioned some car manufacturers making a 'limited run' of production cars with uprated systems just so they can race them and comply with the rules

blakep82 - 28/7/11 at 10:54 AM

when was subaru in BTCC?

during the mid 90s (with the audis and the volvo estates) they were proper race cars with the road cars body hung on the them, but i thought they started with an actual road car chassis now.

this will be interesting
http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/media/Touring_Car_Press_Release.shtml

they actually mention the insignia is a big chassis, so they must be starting with it

procomp - 28/7/11 at 11:36 AM

Hi

Friend was running an ITC Alfa at Donington on a test-day and had the bonnet come a drift and take the screen out. Thinking it was end off day ( and expensive unobtainable replacement required ) some bright spark suggested Auto-glass. Honestly couldn't believe it when they turn up and replace with a STD screen in 2Hrs.

Cheers Matt

richardlee237 - 28/7/11 at 11:37 AM

Quite a bit looking at this . WTCC Lacetti as driven by Mr Muller

WTCC Lacetti front suspension
WTCC Lacetti front suspension

bi22le - 28/7/11 at 12:06 PM

That picture only works I we know what a Lacetti looks like with one of the wheels removed!!

All being serious though the upright and suspension mods look serious but WTCC is a higher class of modification to BTCC. DTM is even higher than both.

richardlee237 - 28/7/11 at 12:32 PM

Good point

But I do know my wifes Focus dosen"t look like this.

280 bhp Duratec

AON BTCC Focus
AON BTCC Focus

Doctor Derek Doctors - 28/7/11 at 01:04 PM

Its not as much as people make out, well it wasn't. I've not been in BTCC since 2006 but back then the team I worked for used to bring a standard road car along to the event in a truck to scavenge bits from.

It depends on the series as well, DTM is completely unrelated to road cars, BTCC of aold was pretty close in comparison.

zilspeed - 28/7/11 at 03:02 PM

Any series you care to mention will always mention all the bits which must be standard and will tell you that you can't modify unless expressly permitted to do so.

Having said that, there's standard and there's standard.
Nobody in their right mind would race a formula ford without a pukka race engine in it, even though that engine is notionally standard.

When it comes to tintops, the mounting points for suspension are the are where they try to maintain some semblance of a connection with the road going car for years. The manufacturers have been playing the rule makes at their own game for years and making replica bits which look almost the same but are a critical few mm different.
They get caught at it every so often. TWR did with the Volvos back in the nineties.

These days, mechanicals are all custom parts which never saw service in a road car, but the basic block and head will have seen service in soem product that the manufacturer produces. Other than that, nada.
Whoever heard of a turbocharged Honda Civic ?

The rules allow it though, so it's in.

hughpinder - 28/7/11 at 03:19 PM

Blake -you're right of course wrt my last post - its a WRC not a BTCC car.
Regards
Hugh

coyoteboy - 28/7/11 at 03:30 PM

Even back in the early 90's WRC the homologation cars were only really notionally similar in most mechanical parts. The shell is the same (but stiffened/seamed and improved - I heard mention of 1200 hours work on the chassis of the scoobers alone!) and IIRC the suspension geometry (or at least the pick up points) had to be the same, and the engine and turbo were meant to be the same but of course would be significantly improved but within the spec of the original car. Shocks, arms, hubs/carriers all different, interior not even close. I suspect it's similar now if not more restrictive but really the minor differences mentioned above can make a car significantly different to its road going siblings. None of that relates to touring cars directly, but my guess is it isn't far off.

SJL - 28/7/11 at 07:59 PM

I had to pop up to the company who were building the current Avensis and Audi touring cars and can tell you there isnt an awful lot left of the standard car.

he front and rear subframes are separate items as in they are completely fabricated from the bulkheads forward or back. Presumably for ease of change should they get damaged. The front suspension was all rocker arm based with Penske shocks. The uprights and all suspension components were fabricated from scratch. God only knows what the cost of their CNC equipment was.

They do still use the EPS steering ECU from the standard Avensis though

Theshed - 28/7/11 at 08:30 PM

Here is a useful website if you fancy making your own - really nice bloke runs this "Tony" gets some really good stuff from time to time

www.touringcarspares.com

matt.c - 29/7/11 at 09:36 PM

I done some work on an ex btcc 1990 nissan primera, quite alot on the car is standard stuff. floor pan only slightly changed. Chassis legs standard but boxed in. Roof standard. The big changes are in the wheel arch areas. Totally changed to allow for custom subframes and suspension.

eccsmk - 31/7/11 at 03:33 PM

click

click2

i have been reading up on btcc cars, suspension engines etc

if you spend alot of time on google you will find alot of info.
the links are just 2 i saved a while back worth a look thru i think