Board logo

Breaker Bar - Recommendations
ssc28 - 27/12/11 at 09:13 PM

I've just managed to breakk my Britool breaker bar this afternoon trying to remove a very tight wheel bolt. As I was helping it with a small scaffold tube at the time I really only have myself to blame.
Can anyone recommend what to buy next, 1/2" drive say 600mm long, decent quality at a fair price being the requirements.

HowardB - 27/12/11 at 09:18 PM

thought the Britool stuff was lifetime warrenty?

ssc28 - 27/12/11 at 09:20 PM

Not when you abuse it in the way I did. I've had it 20 years and it has had some rough treatment too.

Toprivetguns - 27/12/11 at 09:21 PM

Id rate halfords tooling better than britool. Plus get some discount with your trade card.

flak monkey - 27/12/11 at 09:29 PM

Halfords Advanced stuff is good (used to be Halfords Pro). And apparently is made by Britool... no questions asked on exchanges. However I have given my 1/2" breaker bars a lot of abuse (one had a 6' length of scaffold pole on last week) and I haven't broken or bent one yet....

lotusmadandy - 27/12/11 at 09:33 PM

I use kamasa half drive gear,ive had it 20
Years and its never failed.
I use my britool 3/4 drive breaker bar with an impact
reducer for heavier work.
Highly rated imho.

Andy

Stott - 27/12/11 at 09:49 PM

Halfords pro is Sykes pickavant, exactly the same stuff, even the same type font on the tools, the torque wrenches are a good example, just a different colour that's the only difference, that and the fact they are almost half price.

As for the breaker bar, just get a cheapo. I've got a laser one that's had a lot of stick and it's still going strong, cost £15

Also, if it's got a lifetime warranty then just take it to a dealer and ask for a new one, abuse or not they don't care.

I've had Sykes spanners changed on a tool van that I bought in halfords because I tried to engrave my initials onto them and chipped the chrome off! (stuff goes missing a lot in main dealer workshops)

hillbillyracer - 27/12/11 at 10:10 PM

I broke my 3/4" drive Britool bar & it was replaced no questions asked. But the replacemnt was not the same, Britool were bought out long ago (by Facom I think who in turn I've been told are now part of the group that has Stanley?).
Britool is now a notch or two lower in quality than it would be in the past & I expect much of their stuff comes from the same places as Draper Expert, Sealey Premier etc which to be fair isn't bad stuff.
I've got a Britool 1/2 drive socket set but I've seen a set in an identical case apart from the colour, same shape, layout, moulding etc but slightly different sockets & a lesser quality ratchet.

jollygreengiant - 27/12/11 at 11:34 PM

Its not cheap, but I not broken it yet, even with longer than 6ft scaffold poles, the handle I use is the shorter one of the two that you have to buy as extras. Then use step down to 1/2" drives.

Linky

mad4x4 - 27/12/11 at 11:35 PM

I broke the handle end off a draper one... Even the motor factor said "how the Hell" and I replied "ahhh landrover 27mm Wheel nuts....."

jollygreengiant - 27/12/11 at 11:39 PM

quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant
Its not cheap, but I not broken it yet, even with longer than 6ft scaffold poles, the handle I use is the shorter one of the two that you have to buy as extras. Then use step down to 1/2" drives.

Linky

edit bit --
3rd attempt at this. First attempt something decided that it wasn't going to post up the (Linky) properly. even when editing it.
2nd attempt, something decided that when I posted it, I hadn't put up a header or any post content.
So 3rd times a charm, no Idea what happened.

2nd Edit bit

Definately got some gremlins going somewhere. as a deleted post is now showing.

[Edited on 27/12/11 by jollygreengiant]

AntonUK - 27/12/11 at 11:42 PM

+1 for the halfords pro mine has been abused an no sign I issues yet

ssc28 - 28/12/11 at 09:56 AM

Thanks Guys, it looks like my first port of call will be to a local Britool dealer to see if they will honour their lifetime warranty. If not it looks like a Halfords Pro one as a replacement.