Board logo

Spray gun recomendations
corrado vr6 - 8/5/12 at 12:06 PM

Hi there I'm after buying a new spray gun to spray my mini, so far I have bought 2 one around the £120 mark another about £40 both have broke, so I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good gun, I would prefer gravity fed as that's what I'm used to, unless persuaded otherwise. Any help much appreciated Greg

jossey - 8/5/12 at 12:16 PM

This is doing to be like the BEC V CEV convo I guess.

Sata and devilbis makes a big difference to spray jobs than average guns.

If your wanting a gravity fed gun I like the devilbis gti but my friend who works in a spray shop uses SATA. It's all about feel I guess.

Why are they braking.

Do you clean them properly....

[Edited on 8/5/12 by jossey]

Peteff - 8/5/12 at 12:20 PM

Tell us which ones you bought and how they broke so we can avoid them please If you want another cheap one get a Sealey Gold gravity gun from hugspaint on ebay for about £20 +p&p, not bad for not much money. Jossey's mate probably uses a Sata gun, they are supposedly a bit more fragile than Devilbiss. Years ago I used to spray boiler panels in a factory and used Binks and Devilbiss which stood up well to abuse. The cheap ones I use now work fine and are almost a disposable item. If you want to spend a lot you can go for any of the top names, Devilbiss and Iwata do a cheap range now about £70 but they are just like the cheaper ones but with better spares availability.

[Edited on 8/5/12 by Peteff]

MK chippy - 8/5/12 at 12:21 PM

How are you breaking them? Can you not exchange them?

blakep82 - 8/5/12 at 12:26 PM

can't think how a spray gun can break. strip it and clean it in thinners and you should be alright.

i've got a cheap suction one from the £20 for 5 air tool kit things, very crap, as you'd expect.
i got a silverline gravity feed one i got for about £20, which i think, given the money is actually very good.
and a cheap touch up gun with a 300ml cup from hugs paint i got for £15, which does a reasonable job

first understand why they're breaking, otherwise any gun you buy will probably break too.

ashg - 8/5/12 at 12:31 PM

devilbiss gti or sata 2000. are the only ones i would use since owning them. you could pick up second hand gti's for about £150 last time i looked.

ashg - 8/5/12 at 12:34 PM

Devilbiss Gti Spray Gun | eBay

Devilbiss GTI Gravity Fed spray gun Hardly Used | eBay

Devilbiss Gti Spray Gun Limited Edition! | eBay

Sata Jet Spray Gun NR2000 HVLP | eBay

Sata Jet Spray Gun HVLP 2000 | eBay

Strontium Dog - 8/5/12 at 01:09 PM

I have a Devilbiss JGA. I've been using it 25 years and it's still going strong so another vote for Devilbiss!

Peteff - 8/5/12 at 07:58 PM

I have a Defynik suction gun, Spanish company now Sagola and it is about 40 years since I bought it. It's not HVLP but still does a good job. I don't use a dear gun but would like to sometimes just to see if it does make that much difference. I'm not that fussy as long as it's all one colour and a bit shiny I can live with it. My cheap gravity HVLP is a joy to use and a touch up gun from ebay is a boon as well for little repairs.