Board logo

sad news at le mans
daniel mason - 22/6/13 at 04:21 PM

sad news at le mans in last few mins. very very sad for the aston martin guys.
thoughts go out to family and loved ones

ashg - 22/6/13 at 04:54 PM

still in shock that he died. having seen drivers walk away from spectacularly huge crashes it didn't look like it was going to kill him. sad day for his family/team members and the sporting world.. RIP

sky12042 - 22/6/13 at 05:07 PM

So shocked when I heard the news. Said he was talking to the marshals so I presumed he was going to be fine.
Just a reminder how Motorsport can be dangerous.

R.I.P. Allan Simonson

sky12042 - 22/6/13 at 05:11 PM

http://youtu.be/4AyoHIhwFgw

Link to in car vid of car behind.

Andy

snakebelly - 22/6/13 at 05:28 PM

Very sad news, looks like a suspension failure from the way he just speared off track

loggyboy - 22/6/13 at 05:35 PM

quote:
Originally posted by snakebelly
Very sad news, looks like a suspension failure from the way he just speared off track

Looked more like he broke traction on the white lines and just upset the balance.

[Edited on 22-6-13 by loggyboy]

sky12042 - 22/6/13 at 05:42 PM

If you look ahead there is a Ferrari that has spun. I think he might have lifted then caught the curbs and the rear has gone light then as he gets back on the power it shoots left, he can't catch it in time and heads for the barrier.

So sad first death since 1987 apparently.

Andy

t11 - 22/6/13 at 06:08 PM

very sad news was watching as it happened our thoughts are with his family and Aston Martin and poor David Richards having to make that phone call...R.I.P

morcus - 22/6/13 at 08:26 PM

Terrible news and so early in.

Xtreme Kermit - 22/6/13 at 08:37 PM

Dreadful news. Thoughts go to family and friends.

bi22le - 22/6/13 at 10:56 PM

I was watching this live. Absolutely stunned.

RichardK - 23/6/13 at 04:58 AM

Terrible news, my thoughts are with his friends and family.

Aaron_n_Sim - 23/6/13 at 08:02 AM

quote:
Originally posted by sky12042
If you look ahead there is a Ferrari that has spun. I think he might have lifted then caught the curbs and the rear has gone light then as he gets back on the power it shoots left, he can't catch it in time and heads for the barrier.

So sad first death since 1987 apparently.

Andy

It was '86 Jo Gartner, now the No.99 Aston has just gone out from P1 in the GT Pro class, trying to win for Allan Simonsen.

twybrow - 24/6/13 at 07:53 PM

Very sad news indeed. We were just out of sight at the Tetres Rouge corners, and could not believe what we heard when the news broke. Very sad news indeed. RIP brave sir.

spdpug98 - 24/6/13 at 08:13 PM

I was at Le Mans and watched the start from the inside of Tetre Rouge corner, he was the 3rd car on that lap to spin at that corner. The first car was an LMP2 followed by the Ferrari a couple cars ahead of Allan Simonsen, I have pictures on my camera of the damage to the tree just behind the barrier, it was a massive impact and the marshals / medical team were on the scene very quickly

We headed back to the campsite once the race started again and when we heard the news later in the evening it really changed the atmosphere around the site

RIP

[Edited on 24/6/13 by spdpug98]

daniel mason - 24/6/13 at 08:51 PM

it said live on eurosport he was talking to the marshals whilst in the car, i was shocked when the news came through from the hospital

will121 - 24/6/13 at 09:02 PM

Andy

now the No.99 Aston has just gone out from P1 in the GT Pro class, trying to win for Allan Simonsen.

I know theres lots of money involved but I did half wonder if the Porsche's would pull into the pits and come out behind the Aston Martin to obviously hand the win as a sign of respect