Board logo

Cheap Oil
johnemms - 18/8/14 at 01:13 PM

Hi Guys .. any obvious reason why I cant put this in my Zetec ?

Oil Link .....

loggyboy - 18/8/14 at 01:36 PM

Been using this very happily in my 172:

(albeit not the ford version)

http://www.eurocarparts.com/ecp/p/car-accessories/engine-oils-and-car-fluids/engineoils/5w30-engine-oil/?521776071&0&cc5_247

There's usually an offer on or code that makes cheaper than that too, I haven't paid more than £13.99 for the past few times ive bought it.

whitestu - 18/8/14 at 01:37 PM

Should be fine. I use this which is the same price: Carparts4 less 5w30 fully synth

Stu

whitestu - 18/8/14 at 01:38 PM

Snap!

johnemms - 18/8/14 at 01:38 PM

That looks a better product - same price & delivery too..

loggyboy - 18/8/14 at 01:47 PM

If you don't need it straight away, wait a week, its bound to come on offer again, they have them every other week.

britishtrident - 18/8/14 at 02:07 PM

There is not much difference between any of the cheaper fully synthetic oils, unlike mineral oils there are hardly any additives added to the blend so unless you paybig bucks for an ester based synthetic you are as well just buying supermarket own brand.
These cheaper synthetics are not quite as good as expensive ester based synthetics but they are very good much better than mineral oil or semi synthetics.

Ester based oils have an extra safety margin before they breakdown at ultra high temperature but supermarket synthetics are much superior to mineral oils and more than adequate for any high temperature they will be exposed to in a piston engine.
Where expensive ester based synthetic engine oil has a major advantage over cheaper synthetics is if you live above the Arctic circle as will flow during cold starts below-20c.
These days even Mobile 1 is not 100 percent ester synthetic.

Snuggs - 18/8/14 at 04:37 PM

Why not use THIS

mark chandler - 18/8/14 at 04:49 PM

Cannot see why not as it's made to standards, I just change mine every year really irrespective of the miles or when it starts looking dirty.

Oils are not equal, I had a range rover with a diahatsu 2.8 diesel that had bearing knock on halfords own was silent on millers although both looked the same on the bottle

[Edited on 18/8/14 by mark chandler]

v8kid - 18/8/14 at 07:05 PM

quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
Cannot see why not as it's made to standards, I just change mine every year really irrespective of the miles or when it starts looking dirty.

Oils are not equal, I had a range rover with a diahatsu 2.8 diesel that had bearing knock on halfords own was silent on millers although both looked the same on the bottle

[Edited on 18/8/14 by mark chandler]

Yup I had the same problem with a 2.2 duratec that was solved by replacing the halfords oil

Cheers!

loggyboy - 18/8/14 at 08:07 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Snuggs
Why not use THIS

Good shout, slightly less quantity but a good price.

ReMan - 18/8/14 at 08:35 PM

Hope its OK!
It was flying out of the door not so long ago when I was there and picked some up. It's jut gone into the RAV as like said you'd like to thing that 5/30 FS of a decent brand should work in anything……..

britishtrident - 18/8/14 at 09:49 PM

Back 70 years ago some oil blender in the USA discovered mineral engine oils made from crude from some areas ofthe Gulf of Mexico had special properties it flowed better at low temperatures and maintained good viscosity at high sump temperatures, they were also exceptional clean lubricants free from inherent contamination.
Word quickly spread and created a speciality performance oil market in the USA. Which is why companies such as Millers and Valvoline are still well known.

Around. 1960 multi grade mineral oils were developed by major oil suppliers but were made from cheaper feed stock and required extensive additive packages.
The problem with oil additives is that they wear out and break down so the less additive percentage required to achieve the required performance the better.

The cheaper modern synthetics are made from catalyticaly cracked mineral oils as a result they exceed all the best properties of even the best traditional speciality mineral oil.

[Edited on 18/8/14 by britishtrident]

johnemms - 19/8/14 at 08:15 PM

Sorted

Read this - Choose your oil Oil Bible Linky...