Board logo

Transit van for locost storage and transport
sprouts-car - 14/3/15 at 09:05 PM

Evening all,

Will a book locost fit in the back of a transit van?

Currently I don't have access to a garage locally so I've been looking at renting one. Unfortunately they don't seem to come up very often. So I was thinking of alternatives.

Old van seem to be pretty cheap, about the same as a years garage rent, but will it fit?

Chris

daniel mason - 14/3/15 at 09:22 PM

I iamgine the rear load length is long enought to get a sheet of 8'x4' in but not much more!
A lwb version may go in it if you lift it over the rear arches

joneh - 14/3/15 at 09:24 PM

Don't think its wide enough. Which model transit? Google should give you the dimensions but I suspect internal wheel arches may get in the way.

sprouts-car - 14/3/15 at 09:33 PM

Looking at this site http://www.smarthire.co.uk/vehicle-dimensions.htm the internal width of the lwd transit is 1.83m. Would have to lift over the arches though.

How wide is a locost (mine isn't available to measure)

ali f27 - 14/3/15 at 09:45 PM

could stick a set of narrow steel wheels on it might help

daniel mason - 14/3/15 at 09:47 PM

The width between the doors will be narrower than 1.83m but that's wide!
For example a caterham will fit on a 5'5" bed

coozer - 14/3/15 at 09:55 PM

For the price of a van why not rent a container? Place down the road from me cost £10/week. Or they sell them £500 for 22 ft or £700 for a 45 ft.

owelly - 14/3/15 at 10:47 PM

You'll fit a Locost in a Luton.

MikeR - 15/3/15 at 07:17 AM

£10 per week for a container - wow. Around me they are about £140 a month!!!!! The car's will fit in a Luton transit.

Ivan - 15/3/15 at 12:09 PM

Thieves will love you - 2 for the price of one shopping

snakebelly - 15/3/15 at 12:16 PM

If it's any help a tiger Avon won't go in the back of our Sen transit and even if it did it would then have to go over the rear wheel well protrusions

smart51 - 15/3/15 at 07:59 PM

Since you've have to drive your locost up a ramp to get it in a transit, why not have a ramp over the wheelarches? Either make a good way of chocking the rear wheels, or make the internal ramp a tilter. That way you can work underneath the car in the van as well.

benchmark51 - 15/3/15 at 08:18 PM

I have had a garage problem, so have built a box to put my locost in. Made out of 25mm box section welded to make a frame then clad with galvanised sheet using rivets. Internal wheelbarrow wheels at front, caravan jockey wheels at rear so I could move it on my own. Cost about £200, but saving me £40 pm rent. Have been using it for 6 months. Not enough room to work on the car inside but easy to get the car out. So can't work when it's raining, can live with that. Picture in my gallery.