Board logo

Best car of Stoneleigh?
Slimy38 - 3/5/15 at 09:44 PM

Probably a bit early (as it's only halfway through!), but I was blown away by the Tribute Automotive D-Type;

I think it's actually one of their older body swaps (Triumph base) but the one they had on show was truly spot on. And I remember one from two years ago that was tatty fibreglass on a ratty donor.

bi22le - 3/5/15 at 11:05 PM

That looks like it has been vinal wrapped.

You can see where rivets have been covered over.

Nice car none the less.

ceebmoj - 3/5/15 at 11:20 PM

quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

Nice car none the less.

The tribute car i saw a year or so ago had the rivits moulded in to the fiberglass giving the wraped look

macc man - 4/5/15 at 06:53 AM

I saw this car yesterday and was very impressed with the detail and quality. Only reservation would be the availability of a spitfire donor car. They must be thin on the ground now.

fesycresy - 4/5/15 at 08:15 AM

I only took pictures of this car and the AK427 (because of the coat of paint).

Slimy38 - 4/5/15 at 10:10 AM

quote:
Originally posted by ceebmoj
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le

Nice car none the less.

The tribute car i saw a year or so ago had the rivits moulded in to the fiberglass giving the wraped look

Yep, the ones you can see in the photo are part of the fibreglass, it was a proper paint job. To be honest, I suspect the quality of the prep work and the paint job went a long way to making it look as good as it does!

HowardB - 4/5/15 at 11:00 AM

Agreed. It was a beautiful example of a kit car.

Rod Ends - 4/5/15 at 03:04 PM

Liked the look of this Dino Replica (based on a MG TF!)

Texan - 4/5/15 at 10:05 PM

It would seem to me that a Spitfire based D Jag kit would be too small.

I love the D Jag, one of the prettiest cars ever in my eyes.

Ugg10 - 4/5/15 at 11:04 PM

quote:
Originally posted by Rod Ends

Liked the look of this Dino Replica (based on a MG TF!)

Needs to have the 2.5 kv6 engine transplant (on throttle bodies) in it to give it a bit of authenticity.

Slimy38 - 5/5/15 at 07:23 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Texan
It would seem to me that a Spitfire based D Jag kit would be too small.

I love the D Jag, one of the prettiest cars ever in my eyes.

I did overhear a conversation suggesting the dimensions weren't 100% accurate, so if you put one next to a real one you'd notice the difference. They must have got the ratio right though as it looks good overall.

I see a lot of body conversions suffer the same fate, for example I think the Peugeot 406 based Ferrari's look better than the MR2 ones. The MR2 ones look a little short (unless it's just my eyes!).

jeffw - 5/5/15 at 07:56 AM

quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I think the Peugeot 406 based Ferrari's look better than the MR2 ones.

Bits tongue and wanders off shaking head....406 based Ferrari, has the world gone mad !

adithorp - 5/5/15 at 08:15 AM

I had a good conversation with the owner/builder. It was very nicely done, especially when you consider it was his first build. It's running the 1.3 Spit' engine but for me would need the GT6 motor.

It's def' smaller and the proportions aren't perfect; To be right the wheel base would have to be extended and that would bring it into IVA. As it stands (to me) it's a nice tribute to the style of the D type (and a lot of custom bodied racers of the period) yet different enough not to look like a slightly wrong replica.

Only second best car in the show though as the scratch built evocation of an Alfa GrandPrix car (with matching trailer) was superb (sorry no pictures). 4years to build didn't sound bad... untill he told us that was full time!

Honourable mentions to the Red Cobra, T70 Modus (as always), Grey StrikerR1.

Could anybody else tell the difference between the old Ultima and the Evolution?... other than the 1000+bhp supercharged motor.

Slimy38 - 5/5/15 at 08:39 AM

quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
I think the Peugeot 406 based Ferrari's look better than the MR2 ones.

Bits tongue and wanders off shaking head....406 based Ferrari, has the world gone mad !

Yeah I know, perhaps I should have put 'looks' in bold. They do look really nice, no idea how they sound, perform, etc. Probably more like a 406!

Slimy38 - 5/5/15 at 08:45 AM

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I had a good conversation with the owner/builder. It was very nicely done, especially when you consider it was his first build. It's running the 1.3 Spit' engine but for me would need the GT6 motor.

It's def' smaller and the proportions aren't perfect; To be right the wheel base would have to be extended and that would bring it into IVA. As it stands (to me) it's a nice tribute to the style of the D type (and a lot of custom bodied racers of the period) yet different enough not to look like a slightly wrong replica.

Only second best car in the show though as the scratch built evocation of an Alfa GrandPrix car (with matching trailer) was superb (sorry no pictures). 4years to build didn't sound bad... untill he told us that was full time!

Honourable mentions to the Red Cobra, T70 Modus (as always), Grey StrikerR1.

Could anybody else tell the difference between the old Ultima and the Evolution?... other than the 1000+bhp supercharged motor.

I didn't realise the builder was there, I reckon I would have been talking to him for most of the day! Would this happen to be the Alfa you saw;

And I'm glad I wasn't the only person who couldn't seen any difference with the 'evolution'!

[Edited on 5/5/15 by Slimy38]

adithorp - 5/5/15 at 09:09 AM

Thats the one.

It's not a replica of any one model more "in the style of" (mainly Alfa'35). The underpinnings were a Renault5 Gordini at the front and 2CV trailing arms. So the only disapointment was the front wheel drive but the attention to detail was incredible and all scrap yard bits and home made (he made the steering wheel and the "racing style" petrol cap was from a digger). He'd spent ages getting the proportions right; Cut down the rear arms so the wheels were close enough to the driver and multiple goes at the body to get the profile right, the vents are as Alfa did them rather than the common vouvres.

If you'd met him you would have struggled to get away.

Slimy38 - 5/5/15 at 09:18 AM

I was listening to the Alfa builder talk to another guy, it didn't even click that it was a scratch built but I remember him saying that this bit was from that car, and that bit was from another car, handbrake was a Vauxhall Viva, the seat was from something else!

I agree that the front end ever so slightly let it down (the whole suspension seemed awfully bulky due to the FWD, reminded me of the Locust 7 front end), but to find out it was hand made is really impressive.

simonrh - 5/5/15 at 10:45 AM

The thing that I wanted to find out more about the most was the white spaceframed mini kit that was outside.
Seemed to be running an MGF rear subframe, GRP shell, plenty of space for a range of FWD engine options mounted in the back. Looked nicely finished and the brief bit of info on the datasheet reckons that price is anticipated to be reasonable.

Pincherrn - 9/5/15 at 09:12 PM

I really liked that Spitfire kit too, one of the only things I was really impressed by. I don't think it is really supposed to be a D type replica but more inspired by. I came home and checked their website only to see there is no information on there.
I really liked (always have) the Tiger GTA and ERA 30 too. The DeHavilland looked beautifully built as did the Lister Bell Stratos but both are way out of my price range.

Got to finish this MEV Exocet first tho. Lol.

Colin