Board logo

VAGCOM VCDS info
bi22le - 1/8/15 at 02:29 PM

Hi.

I have a B8 Audi A4. The brakes need doing and although I may not need VCDS to turn off the warning light I know it will come in use. For example, i want to unlock the secret green screen to access some freebie upgrades.

The crazy price differences on ebay frightens me, I can get it from £5-300.

I have no doubt the cheaper end is just Chinese leads a ripped off copy software but does it work?

At what price does the gear start becoming legitimate and worth the money?

Any advice or experience?

Slimy38 - 1/8/15 at 04:10 PM

Basically the older version of the software was really insecure and is everywhere for pennies, whereas the updated version is a lot harder to get a copy of. And the older software only works with older cars, up to about 2004 depending on what VAG car.

I'm afraid for a B8 it won't work. You might just about be able to get the fault codes, but forget the freebies. Which is a shame, because my 2001 got a whole load of stuff added when I got mine, and it cost me about £15!

Have a look at the official page;

http://store.ross-tech.com/shop/cat/VCDS.html

To understand the various packages and their related official versions.

CosKev3 - 1/8/15 at 04:27 PM

Find someone locally off a vag forum that's got the full version and bung them some £££ to do it

v8james - 1/8/15 at 04:41 PM

I bought a cheap one from ebay for my sons 2004 golf, it also works on my 2012 Passat.

Dokez - 1/8/15 at 04:46 PM

I have genuine vag com and im in Dartford if this helps you. If you have a how to guide should be fairly easy!

Pm me

bi22le - 1/8/15 at 05:54 PM

Thanks for the offer Dokez.

Im hosting a BBQ at the mo so will U2U you later.

Dusty - 1/8/15 at 10:16 PM

I have two polos, ex wife has a golf and two of the kids have fabias. I bought a genuine VCDS for about £280 three years ago from Ilexa, the UK agent. It has saved me hundreds of quid. I don't know how anyone works on a VAG group car made in the last 15 years without one. (I did try a cheapo VagCom copy which was a waste of time)

p.s. don't buy a pre 04 fabia if you value your sanity.

mistergrumpy - 2/8/15 at 09:38 AM

I have VCDS for my T4. Just downloaded the free demo from Rosstech site, bought an Ebay lead and then registered the demo with Rosstech for $99 and this this gives you what you need. Albeit, I don't think my copy will will across the range, just for a limited number of engines but it does me fine.