Board logo

Wearing A Helmet In A Car With A Windscreen
lordbenny - 17/1/16 at 12:40 PM

I've never done it although it has crossed my mind on cold days especially if some of the journey is on a motorway. The trouble is...I'm aware that people will think that I look like a complete c@&£tard. Do any of you out there do it and just don't car what other road users think.

benchmark51 - 17/1/16 at 01:01 PM

Helmets are worn on the track aren't they, nobody laughs. If you got no roof and it makes you more comfortable I can't see a problem there.
I often wear a flying jacket, leather flying helmet with goggles in my seven and I get people pointing, grinning and taking photos. Remember all other roadusers are numpties anyway! lol

ash_hammond - 17/1/16 at 01:08 PM

After nearly being hit hard by a flying 5mm steel washer, eye protect is a minimum... so now i just wear my helmet.

loggyboy - 17/1/16 at 01:21 PM

Wouldn't expect to see it in a convertible... but kitcars always have a cool license so you could be wearing a pink helmet with a suspicious slit in the top and you still wouldn't look like a knob.

[Edited on 17-1-16 by loggyboy]

Slimy38 - 17/1/16 at 01:31 PM

I'd probably consider something a little less draughty than a helmet, but open top cars almost warrant some sort of head gear. Even if it is the earlier mentioned goggles and leather hat!

lordbenny - 17/1/16 at 02:03 PM

The issue here was wearing one with a WINDSCREEN.

Slimy38 - 17/1/16 at 02:12 PM

quote:
Originally posted by lordbenny
The issue here was wearing one with a WINDSCREEN.

In my mind, it doesn't matter whether it's a windscreen or flyscreen (or nothing). It only looks bad when you've got something above your head, not in front of it.

russbost - 17/1/16 at 02:36 PM

You're driving a 7 style car & you're worried about what people think about you wearing a helmet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BenB - 17/1/16 at 03:58 PM

More importantly would anyone actually give a poo what other people thought?

russbost - 17/1/16 at 05:18 PM

quote:
Originally posted by BenB
More importantly would anyone actually give a poo what other people thought?

My point entirely!

JacksAvon - 17/1/16 at 05:55 PM

I used to polish my helmet while driving in a 7................lots of people took photographs, pointed and grinned.

SJ - 17/1/16 at 07:04 PM

the plus side is that noboby knows who's driving so even if you do look liek a knob it doesn't matter.

se7ensport - 17/1/16 at 07:24 PM

I often wear one on motorway journeys just to keep the monotonous noise from driving me insane.

BenB - 17/1/16 at 07:38 PM

quote:
Originally posted by se7ensport
I often wear one on motorway journeys just to keep the monotonous noise from driving me insane.

So you're married then

Hodor - 17/1/16 at 10:27 PM

I frequently wear my helmet and I have a windscreen. The windscreen offers little in screening out the wind and when I'm 'going for it' I feel I can concentrate a bit more without worrying about my bunnet blowing off. And chicks dig the whole mystery bit...

That said, the reason I have a windscreen is that I can choose not to wear my helmet and not worry so much about catching stones in my teeth.

minibull - 18/1/16 at 02:17 AM

I wear a flat cap driving the scimitar ss1 if I have the roof down in the winter. I really do look like a knob, but it's a preferable to my head going blue with the cold that hurts ! If I still had hair I might go bare headed but maybe it's because I did I no longer have hair .

nick205 - 18/1/16 at 09:38 AM

Personally in over 3k miles in my MK Indy with an aeroscreen I wore a full face helmet with the visor down. Several reasons, 1 it afforded some head protection from debris and 2 it was warmer than not.

Did I care what I looked like - not at all! I was focussed on being warm and protecting my face/eyes.

I say wear one and be damned with it, who cares what you look like, people will be more interested in the car than you in a helmet.

To add to that, I also carried a spare helmet for any passengers as head protection - people were that scared going in the Indy with me they never moaned about wearing a helmet

SCAR - 18/1/16 at 12:06 PM

Just wear a hat and you will have a warm head and the added bonus of being allowed to drive like a complete twat.
Any hat, doesn't matter what type although trilby types seem to be popular. No longer any need to indicate, drive at 28.7mph everywhere, use the extremities of your car as a distance sensor when parking. Park anywhere at bizarre angles, rev the nuts of the car when pulling away (slowly) accompanied by the smell of burning clutch. Yep definitely going ditch the Highway code and get me a hat.

nick205 - 18/1/16 at 04:07 PM

^^^ Hats catch the wind and blow off - helmets are strapped on and stay put. A helmet also has a visor which helps protect the face (eyes) from debris such as grit and bugs - bugs can blind you at speed!